Pinterest is an interesting place where ideas are gathered and to-do lists are filled to unrealistic proportions. A survey done by TODAY reported that 42% of the moms surveyed experienced Pinterest stress. We all know those moms, they go all-out with matching outfit family pictures, elaborate themed birthday parties and wonder woman DIY projects. Everything looks perfect and easy. It's no wonder that some women really do get stressed out by Pinterest. I, however, am not one of them. You know why?
I'm lazy.
I have absolutely no drive to browse Pinterest for ways to make my life harder and my standards higher. I also have absolutely no drive to have themed birthday parties or themed any kind of parties for that matter. Honestly, I hardly have the drive to have a party, period.
Now, that's not to say that I don't use Pinterest, but I certainly don't abuse it, or get abused by it. I think this is largely a personality thing. The TODAY survey also showed that for 75% of the moms surveyed the pressure came from themselves. I may put pressure on myself in other areas.. but social media isn't one of them!
There are probably months at a time that I don't even remember that I have a Pinterest account, and then I have an idea but I'm not sure how to carry it out and suddenly I remember that I can look on Pinterest. For the most part, I get on Pinterest for a specific purpose, I filter through the junk, I get inspired and I get off. I just don't have room for information that I don't need. That's not to say that I think all my stuff is awesome and I couldn't use a DIY project or two.. but that's just not how my brain works. I might see a few projects that look neat, but until I have a specific need for that information (e.g., I have a blank wall and decide I should fill it, or I want to redo my living room but can't decide how) it's all in one ear, out the other. I'm too lazy to aspire to crafty greatness, unless I've already decided that it is something I want to tackle.
That is not to say that those moms that get overwhelmed by or feel inadequate from Pinterest have something wrong with them, probably I'm the one that should care more about what people think! It goes back to something I said in my Crunchy Things post, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Pinterest perfection isn't my weakness. Now if there was a Pinterest for all things crunchy and healthy ('10 ways I boosted my families immune system for under 10 cents', 'how to sprout your grains and clean your house at the same time', 'healthy first birthday party with pastured egg yolk and liver ice cream that your kids want to eat', 'DIY matching compost bins') I'd probably be one of the 42%!
Also, I know that I don't have it all together, and neither do the people that put their best foot forward. I look at someone that looks like they have it all and I know that there is something that they're still working on too. I don't need them to pin a picture of their messy bedroom to make me feel better. I'm happy to see their pretty living room when I want ideas for decorating and I don't assume that their entire house is photo worthy. And if it is, then I don't expect their entire heart to be photo worthy, no one's is. We all have strengths and weaknesses.
I kind of think of Pinterest as an addictive activity. I enjoy the occasional outdoor challenge, but I'm no adrenaline junky. I like wine, but I have no desire to overindulge, in fact, I'd avoid it at all costs. I think working out is good, but I'm not even slightly tempted to run a marathon. I like Pinterest, but I have no desire to be Pintoxicated by it. I'm just not bent that way. And, I'm too lazy for it! Perfection is just too much work!
**Please note that this post is not meant to insult anyone or make them feel inadequate. The view expressed in this post are mostly out of desperation for a topic since it is day 28 in a row of posting. No animals were harmed in the writing of this post.
I'm so glad no animals were harmed in the making of this post.
ReplyDeleteIf you find a post called Do It Yourself Matching Compost Bins... share it on facebook. I don't Pinterest. But that I might need to see!
-Lisa
I'm with you. I don't have time to Pinterest. I use it now and then and oftentimes completely forget it exists. I don't think I fully understand how the site even works. And I have no intention or interest on figuring it out ;)
ReplyDeleteYour disclaimer cracked me up. I use it for specific projects but I found when I was on there all the time, I was overwhelmed with the number of awesome ideas out there and what I wanted to do. I feel the same way when I go in a craft store or look at a home design magazine. I feel a bit frantic even though I don't actually want to do all of the projects.
ReplyDelete