Saturday, October 12, 2013

Day 12: Three Confessions

I confess that I'm still justifying the daily occasional indulgence because I'm nursing. Be it ice cream, an extra slab of butter or a second helping of lasagna... it's for the baby. I told myself this had to stop after six weeks. And then again at two months. And then again at three months. Now she's almost four months and here I am with 5-8 fluctuating pregnancy pounds on my hips and there's no excuse. I didn't just have a baby so it's okay to be chubby still...that was four months ago. Now where's the butter for this popcorn? I'm eating for two after all.

I confess that I sleep in. Man do I sleep in. For awhile I was really good about getting up with Blake and getting things done but lately I'm a ridiculous night owl and fortunately my girl sleeps late... and so do I. I know I kind of confessed this before, but it bears repeating. I have slept until almost noon the last three days and once until almost three. Unless I have a good reason to get up before her, I basically don't. Every week I resolve to stop this and of course this week is no different, yet again I'm up late and I already know that in the morning I'll have completely forgotten that sentiment.

I confess that I once sucked a booger out of EJ's nose with my mouth. I'm here to tell you that it was GROSS. However, the thing was HUGE and surely going to block her airway if it went down instead of out. She could hardly breathe to nurse! I had to do it. Our nose sucker thing stinks and I keep meaning to search for a better one, but obviously I haven't yet. Also it was really far away. I'd be pretty hard pressed to do this again (really, it was pretty gross), but I will say I don't regret it. It was a monster booger.


4 comments:

  1. A few weeks after I stopped nursing, I noticed my pants getting tighter...then I realized that my habit of an extra snack (even healthy) was going to catch up with me big time if I didn't adjust! :)

    Sleep in. Sleep in while you can!!! I have one more year of sleeping in (well, past 7:30) before school starts and I will have to be up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I laughed so hard at your booger story. So, this makes sense to me because the booger-suckers you buy commercially SUCK. Or actually... they DON'T SUCK, and that is the problem. :) The only good ones are the ones you get from the hospital when the baby is born, and of course thus you don't have one. My SIL's dog chewed hers and she must have bought 457634574 of them from various and assorted stores and every single one did NOT suck, until she finally searched "hospital grade nasal aspirator" on amazon and found one. They're not even expensive. The blue ones are best. :) I have no idea why.

    Further thought on booger-removal: So, sometimes the nasal aspirator is still lame. However, I have mad skills at booger removal. Here is my tricks- warning, this is kinda like baby torture and I always feel a little bad doing it (but it works). She will probably like you sucking on her nose more :) Anyway:

    1) Squirt some saline or drops up there to get it all nice and gooey. Wait a minute or two, she may sneeze it out. (Spray works better at inducing sneezing than drops, I've found)
    2) If not, lay her on her back on the floor and kneel with your legs on either side of her, trapping her arms down. (see, I told you it seems like torture). Now the wiggling is controlled. Screaming is not, but I just tell myself that means the airway is clear!
    3) Squeeze aspirator, put into one nostril, make sure it's decently in there to form a seal, and release.
    4) If that didn't do it, you can repeat step three while (gently) pinching the other nostril shut. (My husband said, "But he can't breathe!" and I was like, "Honey, he's screaming his head off. He's breathing.") Downside: I actually think this creates some uncomfortable pressure in there and I feel pretty bad doing it so it's a last resort option for when they really can't nurse.

    Motherhood is rough. But, you should not have to resort to mouth-booger-sucking. May the decently-sucking-nasal-aspirators be with you!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Lisa that is pretty brilliant. I wouldn't have thought to moisten them! I have tried plugging the other side before but it either doesn't help or I feel too bad about the pressure of it. Her boogers were awful there for a bit, but they've gotten a little better lately. I'll look into the cheapies on amazon :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nosefrida! that is the way to go - you basically are sucking the boogers out but the get trapped in a tube instead of your mouth - Patrick got a cold at 2 weeks old - this was worth the money and drive to pick it up that very day when we finally found a store that carried it - highly recommend!
    http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!