Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day 24: Seven Things That Cross Your Mind A Lot

Oh boy... only seven!? Here goes:

  1. Man I am blessed. How is it possible to be this happy and taken care of? Thanks Lord! Praises!
  2. Ooohh my baby is so cute. I could just kiss, hug and hold her forever. LOVE HER!
  3. Health related topics such as which vitamins are better, which foods we should or shouldn't be eating or are eating too much of and I should really start sprouting my grain to make sprouted flour (really there are like 8000 health topics that go through my mind, but I'll lump it into one. I'll also lump in my thoughts about weight in this one).
  4. Vaccinations. They make me crazy and the more I read about them the less I like them. Don't get me started.
  5. Travel dreams. I know it isn't in our budget for awhile (like at least until we buy a house.. maybe longer) but I miss having a trip to plan or look forward to.
  6. Toxins. Because of our MTHFR gene mutation, I'm constantly looking for toxins and ways to avoid them. I successfully switched to homemade deodorant (it really does work!) and my next project is homemade shampoo/conditioner.
  7. Photography - I should really capture this moment; could I capture this moment? I want to capture this moment but I'll just make a mental picture instead and enjoy it. I wonder if I could learn how to do this photo technique. I should edit those photos.

5 comments:

  1. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and try this deodorant - I have put off going to the dark side with that item, but this recipe sounds doable so we'll see....but just throwing out there, I can't stand overly complicated natural living, I'm basically too lazy for that, but have been washing my hair with baking soda for almost a year and love it - super easy. No concoction, I just grab a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass jam jar, take in the shower with me, fill the jar up with hot water and let the baking soda dissolve while I wet my hair (I use a lid and shake it up too), pour it all over my head and scrub in like you would shampoo - no suds but it feels squeaky clean when you rinse - rinse well so you don't have any powder at your scalp line.....as far as conditioner, I have chickened out and still use a pea size amount of the bad stuff to run through my hair as a de-tangler after washing, but I have read you can just rinse with apple cider vinegar as an alternative to conditioning altogether, which I plan to try when I finally use up the last of my store-bought conditioner. I went from washing every other day to washing every third day and my hair looks/feels the same as always (after probably a two week period where I felt a little greasy, lol, since your scalp has to readjust to your natural oils and all that, not being clogged) - but that's what I recommend - can't get easier than just straight baking soda! Love the versatility of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the deodorant. I couldn't handle the switch until I quit working. ;) You'll have to let me know how your deodorant goes! I bought a few of these for dispensing, and I'm loving them! Two of them hold most of what this recipe makes, but I'd suggest making half a batch if you can. I'm still working on my first tube and it's been over four months. I wish I could adjust the formula but I still have my second tube to go through. I'm sensitive to baking soda, so I've had issues with getting a little raw if I use too much deodorant and I've found that swabbing with ACV before applying helps lessen the frequency of irritation. I don't know if it has something to do with pH or what (I'll try putting a bit less soda in next time too). I'm thinking that you won't have a problem if you've been using baking soda 'shampoo' for a year. That's the 'no-poo' method I'm trying out, but of course I just read about how for some people the roller coaster shift from baking soda's pH to ACV's pH makes their hair brittle over time, and how some people have a really dry scalp from baking soda wash. Since I've been sensitive to the baking soda in my deodorant, I decided to only use it every now and then and just rinse with ACV/water mix (from what I read, this is what the baking soda sensitive people ended up doing.. there is also raw honey shampoo that intrigues me, and I might try that if this plan doesn't work). I've adjusted my head to every 2-3 day washings, so hopefully this eases the transition period. So far, (two washes in) I like it :). I know, natural living has the potential to get pretty fussy if you let it!

      Delete
    2. So: first, is this a new blogger thing?! We can reply to comments? This is awesome and I will now go and try it on my own blog to see. :)

      But also... I thought I had left a comment here (perhaps I forgot) asking you about the shampoos, so I'm glad you talked about them a little bit in this reply. I'd be interested to know what you are doing. I cut down to three washings a week back in march and it's very nice.

      Delete
  2. Have you looked into essential oils much? I have a friend who does doterra and I have been learning a lot. They are a great first line of defense. I get overwhelmed with all of the health info out there and have to remind myself that little changes matter too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do love essential oils! My mom does doterra (and passes on her discount to me) and I love how much they help educate about oils and their uses. I don't have many yet (maybe 8?) but I enjoy adding them to my arsenal. I tried out a few new ones for EJ's birth :).

      Delete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!