If you haven't heard of the Five Love Languages, they are:
Acts of Service
Physical Touch
Quality Time
Words of Affirmation
Receiving Gifts
They say you can tell your love language by what you find yourself doing to show love to others. Or you can take the quiz on their website ;). Even though I knew my love language I took the quiz and low and behold, I was right.
I feel loved by acts of services. Yesterday Blake ground some wheat for me because he knew I was wanting to do it but hadn't gotten it done. I loved it. He's really good about doing little things like that but then we've had the love language talk too. He's especially good at it since having Emerson, which in a way seems funny since I'm home more so you'd think I'd get more done, but I don't. He is good at seeing the little things I want to do but didn't get to.
If I could pick a second love language I would say that it is receiving gifts, which I kind of feel a little guilty about but hey... it is what it is :). And Blake is good about this one too!
It's a fun discussion to have with your spouse or your (older) kids. And it's fun to know that you are showing someone you love them in a way that it says it to them, not just how you'd like to be shown.
Update: After thinking about this a little more, I've realized how I'm almost the opposite of a 'words of affirmation' person. Sure I need the occasional compliment or positive feedback - I am human - but people's actions certainly mean more than their words to me. For example, Blake can say that he appreciates what I do, but I feel loved and more appreciated when he helps me out with the overflow. He might tell me I'm beautiful (although come to think of it, he rarely does) but I feel beautiful when he unexpectedly stops and kisses me (which he does often - he must know me). Maybe this is part of my
My test was overwhelmingly Quality Time which I already know. Gifts were at a 2. :) Everything else was tied. Funny that I have quality time when I have a husband that travels all the time. :) He's a pretty good on the phone, thank goodness.
ReplyDelete