Friday, June 1, 2012

Music

I'm procrastinating on finishing my post about last weekend... mostly because I want to finish editing and narrowing down the pictures. In the meantime I have some thoughts about music and photography. I've had an old John Mayer song (think Room for Squares circa 2001) floating through my head either as I'm obsessively trying to capture every angle on a perfect sunset or photo opportunity, or when I'm sitting back and just enjoying a moment with friends and realize my camera is no where in sight.

Thinking about this particular song has made me think about how my music habits have morphed over time. I had to pull out my old John Mayer cd and listen to it, in hopes of getting it out of my head (hasn't really worked), which brought back memories of all the music I used to listen to in college. I also took a paperwork day yesterday and listened to Pandora all day as I typed. I noticed that my Matt Maher station has started playing some secular music. There was some John Mayer, Five for Fighting, Edwin Mccain, David Gray, The Fray, Train, Jason Mraz, Augustana, Adele and OneRepublic that popped in there unexpectedly. I guess that's what is fun about Pandora though!

Now, there's really nothing wrong with {some} secular music. I grew up listening to country music and the occasional Linda Ronstadt, Elton John, Amy Grant or Paula Abdul song. And I had a weird obsession with Michael Bolton, specifically his song, How Can We Be Lovers (even though I'm sure I had no idea what it was really about). My parents like some classic rock too and I had an oldies phase when I was 12/13.

I got into Christian music when I was in high school but switched back to country and alternative pretty much through college. However, in the last few years (since getting married) I've noticed that I pretty much only listen to Christian music. Sometimes on a long drive we lose a KLOVE station before we can pick up another one and will find something else. I'm reminded of the songs I used to love, but after a little while of listening, I feel my emotions being tickled with memories, or I start changing my focus from Upward to inward, ever so slightly. 

I guess that's why I've slowly switched to primarily Christian music, if something is going to effect my mood or focus, I'd like it to be affected toward God. Emotions are so easily impacted by music and I love filling my head and my heart with lyrics and notes that remind me of God's goodness, Jesus' sacrifice and my purpose in this life. I know that I can listen to as much of any kind of music that I want to... I just find myself wanting to listen to music that gives God glory.

Now that said... here are the lyrics to a silly secular song that makes me think twice about living life behind a camera lens :).

3 x 5 - John Mayer

I'm writing you, to catch you up on places I've been
As you held this letter
Probably got excited
But there's nothing else inside it

Didn't have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I would see the world through both my eyes
Maybe I will tell you all about it
When I'm in the mood to lose my way with words

Today, skies are painted colors of a cowboy cliche
And strange how clouds that look
Like mountains in the sky
Are next to mountains anyway

Didn't have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I would see the world through both my eyes
Maybe I will tell you all about it
When I'm in the mood to lose my way, but let me say

You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
It brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
No more 3 x 5's

I guess
You had to be there
I guess
You had to be with me

Oh today, I finally overcame
Tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame
Maybe I will tell you all about it
When I'm in the mood to lose my way, but let me say

You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
It brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
No more 3 x 5's, just no more 3 x 5's

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Aaahhh...John Mayer and college...he sang me through many a study session.

    I go back and forth on music. I sometimes feel like Christian music gets so overplayed that I sing along without really even listening to what I am saying. That's not a bad thing...but yet then when I really want to put my heart into the song, I know it too well. However, like you say, if music is gonna influence me, it is good if it is in a Godward way. Like I said, I go back and forth. However, the older my kids get and the more they parrot back the words of songs, the more I realize that there is a lot of inappropriate stuff in songs I've always liked...and even simple country songs have lyrics I don't particularly want to hear my 2 year old singing.

    As far as the camera goes, I am so with you. I love the creative/brain part of trying to capture images and I like to try to frame some beauty or a poignant moment or capture my kids at just *this* moment so I can somehow preserve it. But then the times I put my camera down and really look, I find it all to be much bigger and more beautiful than anything I could see through the lens. A time for both I suppose...

    Thanks for these thoughts...you may inspire me to blog a bit on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is perfect for what I'm experiencing lately. I find myself longing to not have my camera so I can just enjoy and preserve in my memory. But everything has it's equal opposite and there are times that I can't think without it attached to me. Lol.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Julie, it can be frustrating that with Christian music you get immune to the message from hearing the same songs at church and on the radio, but still I find that words will jump out at me even when I've started to tune out an over played song. God can't use it if you aren't listening to it I guess. I feel like maybe this is one of those 'First world problems' I posted about before ;).

    Macey - it makes me wonder if John Mayer was into photography too ;)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!