Thursday, June 28, 2012

Consumed

...with moving.

All I've really had time for doing or thinking about is packing, moving, packing, cleaning and more packing. This week, however, is going much better than last week.

I was reminded of this clever and amusing post from my fellow blogger, Julie, who moved last October. She discusses the "Stages of Moving" and from my current personal experience, she was right on the money. She said it better than I ever could, so do click over and read through it. You'll get a chuckle if you've moved anytime recently.

Last week, when I was having a little meltdown, I was between stages three (easy stuff) and four (chaos). A couple of days with Blake at my side (or me at his side rather) and we plowed right into stage four and I believe that is still where we reside.

Pretty soon though (like tomorrow!), we will be at stage five (taking care of business). Here is a quote from Julie about this stage, which I can see happening in the very near future, "It is the day(s) every room is full of boxes, and at the end of it, you find yourself filling a box with a towel, a spatula, a box of Kleenex and a bottle of toilet cleaner because that is all that is left."

Looking forward to that! Here are some pictures of our stages so far:

We started a month early and packed up most of the guest room/office and finished a little painting:


Then we did almost nothing for two weeks, except we did buy some tape and looked at our stash of boxes. I wish I'd taken a picture of this because I found it comical. We have a storage room on our balcony with the water heater and a potting "bench". Stacked around and behind those things were all of our moving boxes and darn near every box for almost every item we received as a wedding gift or purchased in the last two and a half years. We did stop collecting original packaging/boxes a few months ago (with only a few regrets). We always knew that we'd move out of this apartment and so we kept them. Sometimes, I don't think we needed to, but the box came in handy for something else. However, when we finally got some real packing done last week, those boxes came in handy! How do you pack a heavy 6-quart mixer? Why in a heavy duty box that has custom fit foam inserts of course (and conveniently, it is also labeled quite accurately)! I'm sure we would have gotten by without them, but it was humorous to see all that we kept and nice to put it to good use.


Here's the guest room now (not much different really)

Blake decided that it would be easiest to start filling up our garage with the boxes so on moving day we could just back up the truck and load up. We're getting there!





1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed with your handy box-saving!! Good luck in your moving stages. When we moved into our house, I realized I had moved 13 times in the prior six years. I had it down to a science! I am pleased to report that I have moved 0 times since then ( almost five years ago) and the stages of moving are like a fuzzy memory to me. :-)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!