Friday, June 17, 2011

Prioritize

pri·or·i·tize/prīˈôrəˌtīz/Verb
1. Designate or treat (something) as more important than other things: "prioritize your credit card debt".
2. Determine the order for dealing with (a series of items or tasks) according to their relative importance: "people prioritize their goals".
(Source)

I need to do some prioritizing. I have too many goals and projects swimming around in my head. They are overwhelming me and I feel like I am not accomplishing anything! The first step is to make a list.
I love a good list.

Goals/Projects (Not in any particular order)
  1. get up earlier
  2. go to bed earlier
  3. have longer quiet times everyday
  4. have more purposeful prayer times everyday
  5. finish the three four five innumerable crochet projects I've started: bath mitts, sweaters, slippers, hats, socks etc.
  6. finish the two knitting projects I've started: lace scarf, hat
  7. start the millions of knitting and crochet projects I have queued.
  8. make more time for reading
  9. join a book club
  10. start using a weekly menu plan
  11. grocery shop once a week
  12. use up produce before it goes bad
  13. make my own bread every week
  14. grind my own flour for said bread
  15. make as many things homemade as possible
  16. maintain a sourdough starter for longer than one month
  17. take better pictures
  18. stay on top of my garden
  19. go to the gym 3x/week
  20. be content with my job
  21. be a better friend
  22. call my mom more
  23. blog consistently
  24. be an effective witness for Christ
  25. do all things without complaining or arguing
  26. use my time wisely
  27. patiently endure until we are financially ready to _____ (insert long-term goal here).
  28. plan the activities for our trip to Australia
  29. listen to the every sermon/Bible study recorded from our pastor
    I think I should stop here. Twenty-some goals and projects are enough.

Now if I look at my current weekday time allocations to see how many of these projects/goals can be added... there are a few hours in there...
7:00-9:59 Before I leave for work (currently filled with: quiet time, computer time and sleeping in)
10:00-10:59 Possibly driving to work or getting ready for work
11:00-2:59 Definitely should be driving to work and then working
3:00-5:29 the leeway time that I am usually working still and/or driving home
5:30-7:59 A (or immediately when I get home) cook and eat dinner
5:30-7:59 B go to the gym and then eat leftovers for dinner; except Tuesdays: eat leftovers and go to Bible study
8:00-10:29 Down time with Blake (usually filled with watching TV and crocheting/knitting)
10:30-? read/facebook/blog in bed while Blake sleeps soundly and I can't fall asleep yet.

If only I could open up that time that I spend working. I often think to myself, "how can I make more time for all these things that I want to do!? When I stay home with kids, surely I'll get so much more done than I do now." I really and truly understand that I'll probably have significantly less time to accomplish these personal goals and projects when I have kids. Especially considering I don't work even close to full time now. Somehow the grass just seems greener on the side of not working.

I try to tell myself that staying home is not the answer. First of all, I'll miss the income. I'm sure I'll miss the sense of accomplishment and productivity, and I'll definitely miss the adult conversation once I stay home with kids all day. I cognitively understand that this current time of life is probably the most ideal time of my life for accomplishing these projects/goals/good habits. Also, I think that if I can't establish these habits and make time for these things now, how will I do it when I have less time?

I remember when I was in college and I couldn't wait to graduate, make money and have a 'real life.' Now I realize, looking back, that that was such an easy lifestyle (except the being broke part). Sure there was some studying, and some stress.. but think about how little time you actually spent in class, compared to how much time you have at your discretion. Additionally, college life is interesting. If you don't like how it is, wait three months and your classes will change. 'Real life' is always. the. same. Get up, go to work, come home, make dinner, clean, go to bed. Do it all over again the next day, and the next, and the next.

I try to apply the lesson learned after college to my current life. Yet I still seem to find myself thinking that the things I can't accomplish now, will be easier when I don't work (which assumes I'm staying home with kids). I also know from my stint of unemployment that even when you stay home and have ALL of your time to yourself, the day still goes very quickly. I had fewer goals and projects back then, but still the day flew by and it was quickly time to make dinner before Blake got home.

The solution? I don't know. I think that if I get organized and really apply myself, then I'll make good habits and accomplish the things on that list that really matter. I also think that if I never seem to make time for something, then it must not be truly important to me (like my first and last scrapbook that I started after the wedding).

That brings me back to prioritizing. As a Christian, my first priority has to be God, His will and His priorities. I try to ask myself, "what eternal difference will this make?" This certainly helps me weed out some goals and projects, but most of these things don't seem to make an eternal difference. So now how do I sort them? Will knitting sweaters and making homemade bread really contribute to eternity? Unlikely. Now that said, downtime is downtime, and if I spend that reading or knitting, will it matter? Will I look back at how I spent my downtime and wish that I'd spent more time watching TV? I assure you no. I could live without it, but Blake thinks that life would be desolate without TV (He needs more hobbies! I tell him he can have some of mine, but he just doesn't want to knit someone else a pair of slippers ;) strange). Will I wish that I'd read more classic novels when I'm in heaven. Doubtful. Twenty years from now, will I wish that I hadn't sat around so much or slept in so often? I don't know.

I seem to have no answers here, I'll get back to you/myself if I find any. However, it has helped me to just think through this and make that list :)! My brain feels more organized now.

3 comments:

  1. Those are some great goals on your list. I got into the habit of making a weekly grocery list/planning meals when going to the grocery store became a lot of work hauling my kids. :) It's been great and I am much more efficient with my foods. If I was really organized, I'd go online for coupons before I shopped. Maybe I'll add that to my list of goals.

    I actually do have more time now that I am home with kids to do stuff than when I was working. I usually get a 2-3 hour break in the middle of the day when they nap and then they are in bed by 8 so I have the evening. I've learned to be efficient with my "free" time. Once they get onto a regular nap schedule and before they are involved in lots of activities, you actually do have time to do projects!

    I admire your goals, especially the homemade bread and gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that you feel like you have more time now! That's encouraging that maybe I'll have more time... someday ;)I wonder if meal planning is something that works better when forced. It's just too easy now to stop at the store on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with your goals. I think it's really hard to get a lot of stuff done when working! :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!