Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Next stop... Crazy"


*ding* Stop requested.

Yes. I am getting off the train at Crazy for a moment and considering a possibility that I never thought I would ever consider again.

Working in the public school system.

Ahh! I left the schools for some very good reasons. I also made the mistake of saying that I would never go back. I should learn to never make absolute statements because I inevitably end up eating my words. At this point I'm leaning toward, I don't know.

I don't know if this is a good decision. I don't know if I'll even get the job. I don't know if I'll lose my mind from the paperwork, parents and progress reports. I don't know if my perspective is skewed. I don't know if the added stress this setting caused me is going to haunt me again.

There are some things that I do know. I know that God is in control and will lead me. I know that I am stronger in the Lord, than when I first worked in the schools. I know that I have matured as an SLP and this will help. I know that I love working with children. I know that there is no perfect job.

After doing so much soul searching, praying and reading.. I asked my staffing manager to ask for an interview and the district has decided to interview me, this Friday.

Now for the really crazy part. I'd still work in Pendleton a few nights a week. This is mostly a money thing, but also a loyalty thing. I feel obligated to avoid letting them down. I'm also just hitting my one year mark with them.. and that is a record for them and having a speech therapist. I know the residents, I know the staff and they know me AND they have finally come to trust (and follow) my recommendations. Also, I have invested in the lives of the people I work with.

For the last year, this has been my mission field. I have prayed for, witnessed to and tried to encourage these women in any way possible. I have turned down other jobs in the past because I felt like this was where I needed to be. However, if I get a school job I will only work in the evenings and I won't see these women anymore.

I trust the Lord that he can reach these women without me. I also trust the Lord to sustain me if school plus Pendleton is what I need to do for a year, until I return to just Pendleton.. or move on to somewhere or something else. I trust the Lord to provide for us and to guide us.

This crazy consideration first came up during a discussion with my hubs on the way home from visiting our families this weekend. Usually my husband looks for jobs closer to family on the drive home. This time I was the one looking for a job.

I just feel like I am spinning my wheels. I love, love, love certain things about my job in Pendleton. I love most of all that I can't be late, because I make my own schedule (being on-time is a HUGE challenge for me). I also love the flexibility of working a Sunday afternoon to take a Friday off (Blake has every other Friday off). I also love that I get paid to drive there and I do really enjoy my time in the car to think, pray and listen. I also love the paperwork. So simple and impossible to take home.

What I don't love though, is the lack of hours and the feeling that I'm not doing what I need to in order to provide for my family and goals. If I could get 6.5 hours a day.. this would be the ideal job. Unfortunately, I can't seem to drum up enough of a caseload to get more than 3-4 hours. No matter how hard I try, I just can't make patients with therapeutic potential appear out of the woodwork. Not without compromising my ethics and integrity anyway. SNF therapy seems like such a fine line as it is, which is a post of it's own.

So. *ding* Crazy it is. We'll see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I have no experiences (professionally) with kids other than what grad school provided (ie: practicum!) and I didn't completely hate it... but I didn't want to take a job there, either! That being said, I've considered it once my kid is in school. Can't beat that whole summers-off thing...
    Anyway. I'm sure you will do great, whatever you do, becuase as you say, God is in control! Good luck on your interview!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...tough decisions. I loved my job working in a hospital clinic...we had an SLP staff of 4 and I was able to do solely pediatrics and no inpatient stuff at all. So basically it was like working in a clinic with the advantage of the behind the scenes hospital staff for billing, scheduling, etc.

    Having experienced that, I would find it really hard to work in the schools, I think...I got to have 50 min sessions, do my paperwork my way, collaborate with multiple professionals without having multiple meetings...

    But, who knows? There may be some kids or teachers or other staff or parents that you would be a blessing to in the same way that you have been in your current job!

    Good luck on your interview...God will open and close the doors to make His way clear to you!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!