Monday, June 20, 2011

Family Birthday and Father's Day

My birthday is really on Tuesday, but I celebrated it with my family this weekend. It's usually fun when my birthday overlaps a little with Father's Day. I will say that this year was a little harder because I didn't get to spend much of Father's Day with my dad, since we needed to see Blake's family too.

The only drawback to having our parents less than a mile apart, is that we end up splitting every holiday up into several parts. Instead of picking one side for the year and the other the next, we just try to include everyone. It would be hard to drive by one of our family's houses and think, "Sorry, your year is next year. I know we're right here but you'll have to wait your turn."

So this year we saw Blake's dad on Saturday for a few hours, then rushed home to get to work on making my birthday cake and birthday dinner. Sunday was spent with my parents during church, then visiting Blake's step-dad and mom after church, then visiting Blake's Grampa and Grandma D., and then trying to connect with his Grandpa C. ... AND THEN driving four and a half hours back to our house. Sorry that sounds like complaining. It is a blessing that we get to see most of our family in one place... I just wish that it could have been more quality time with each of them.

I appreciate many of these men (and the wives that support them) and the roles that they have in our pasts and our present.

Here is a little about my dad:
My dad is such an amazing man. He is so patient, honest and kind. His laughter is infectious and his quiet nature is replaced only on occasion by ever increasing loudness as he shares his enthusiasm for a subject (this is a family trait. Get several of us Wa1iezers in a room and it starts out quiet but before you know it some non-Wa1iezer is telling us to shush because we've climbed fifteen dB in our excitement). He is such a man of integrity and godly character. I have countless memories of his gentle teaching and discipline to shape my character as I grew up. I respect him and love him so much!





My birthday dinner was fabulous, but I didn't get pictures of that (my mom and dad are to thank for the dinner). Any meat done on a Traeger makes for a mouthwatering feast! Here are some photos of my birthday and birthday cake - a sixteen layer sponge cake with chocolate filling/icing. Ridiculously rich, moist and melt in your mouth delicious! Recipe from this blog. Her pictures do it better justice but here are mine anyway.

You never know who will make it for my summer birthday celebration.
This year is was my sweet hubs, parents, and brother
Jordan and his lovely girlfriend Jordan [d͡ʒɔʳdæn]



I'm sure it was the sixteenth layer that made it so delicious.
Or maybe the 14 eggs, pound of powdered sugar,
half pound of butter and half pound of chocolate.

It was a wonderful weekend, albeit busy. I am thankful for another year with my family and husband, and another year to serve my Father in heaven.

Stay tuned for more birthday, next weekend we're going to the beach!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I LOVED the IPA. Hilarious. :) That cake looks amazing!

    I know what you mean - our families are all close (in MT, close is within 3 hrs) and it means both splitting holidays as well as trying to share them. It's tough to not do that when they are close but it ends up being a lot of time on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! :)

    We split our holidays (because 4.5 hours apart is not close to me, but Julie's comment made me laugh!) and it's alright. We always do a make up holiday for the christmas we miss (since we alternate). It's a little hard, but it has it's good points too I guess... I'm a little jealous you CAN split it! :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)

    It's funny because I thought that being from the same town was such a perk when we got married. Little did I know it makes holidays crazy! Seems like there's just no perfect solution, each plan (split/alternate/share) has a little drawback to it.

    Had to throw in the IPA since 66% of my readers (2/3) are SLPs and my brother is dating a girl with the same name as him but pronounced differently (same middle name too! Crazy huh!?) It's cute.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!