Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rampart Lakes

After our grueling hike up to Rachel Lake (4650 ft. elevation), and a poor night of 'sleep' thanks to the wind. We got up and went for a day hike to Rampart Lakes.
The trail to Rampart Lakes is no small feat. You gain over 500 feet in elevation in a half mile and search for the trail in snow covered mountain top meadows. The views were by far worth it and as breathtaking as they come.

Looking down on Rachel Lake, on our way up.
Can you find our tent?

There it is!

Hibox Mountain (6547 ft elevation at the top)

Still can't believe the snow! Look how deep it is!

Good thing Jason had GPS, or we'd have been
wandering around looking for a trail.

Yikes! A cougar track!

One of the smaller of Rampart Lakes

Photo op.

Whitney, resting while the photographers do their thing.

What an experience to add to our friendship!

The main Rampart Lake.


It's hard to tell, but this water was as clear-green
as it comes! Amazing!

Looking down on Rachel lake from
5100 ft. elevation.

Hibox Mountain - again, but from a higher point.
For some perspective, this is Hibox Mt.
taken from our hike to Rachel Lake.
I think it's the other side of it.

Just absolutely gorgeous!
Now try to find our tent ;)
What an experience! We were so glad to spend it with Jason and Whitney. Great friends and very patient hikers (I'm by far the slowest hiker out there). As we are hiking we wonder why we challenge ourselves so.. but by the time we're back in town (gorging ourselves on chili dogs and root beer floats at Triple XXX in Issaquah) we're already discussing our next adventure.

1 comment:

  1. It is gorgeous. I always do the same thing too - during the worst parts of the hike I wish I was doing anything but that. But after you get done, it doesn't seem all that bad.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!