We got up early on Sunday morning, packed up the last few things in the hotel room and headed out to the airport. We had gotten some insider tips from our Aussie family and there were a few more items I had to try before we left the country.
This happened at the airport, since we had plenty of time to browse. Our flight was almost an hour late leaving Sydney. We had some Gloria Jean's Coffee, which is like their Starbucks (according to Voula, who is a teacher and ought to know). I also picked up some Tim Tams, which are apparently close to the heart of many Australians (according to Theo). Tim Tams are a type of chocolate biscuit, otherwise known as a cookie. Last but not least, I had to try an Aussie Lamington, which is a type of cake that Aussies love very much (according to little Nicola - "it's her favourite!"). They also informed us that Vegemite is not to be eaten by itself, it is best when mixed with butter (what isn't better with butter) in a ratio of more butter to less Vegemite, and even better when cheese is added. I'm not sure if we'll try this... it's pretty bad by itself, so I don't know how much butter it would take to make it tolerable or palatable. Maybe. The Lamington and Tim Tams, however, delicious!
Our flight was as any 15 hour flight can be expected - long, cramped and sleepless. I wish we'd slept, but we just weren't tired enough and couldn't force it. We watched at least five or more movies, together with a headphone splitter and me half looking at Blake's monitor because mine would die every time I tried to watch a movie. It didn't really matter though because I was knitting like crazy trying to finish my first sock. Seriously, it was like ten straight hours of knitting - awesome! I can't believe I still didn't finish it though. I might have, but I needed to see how long to make it, but Blake didn't want to take his shoes off (for stinky feet reasons, although he'd probably hate that I said that). So I still need to measure how long to make it and I hope that the project doesn't get stuck at the end of my knitting queue like SO many other projects. I will finish it! I'll post a picture
So a tidbit about the Lamington - A coworker asked me to find something delicious and Australian to make for the office (I made chocolate tarts after Italy and Baklava after Greece). It was a challenge I gladly accepted, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to complete until I discovered the Lamington. I mean, I can't exactly make Tim Tams, and most of the other food items they're 'known for' are not delicious or sweet. So when I make my Lamington attempt, I'll let you know how it goes.
| Yeah! We made our train! |
| Sad, we're leaving :( |
| Our last view of the bridge and opera house from the Circular Quay stop. |
| Chocolatey deliciousness |
| Bring on the Lamington! I was so glad that I could find it at the airport (we checked five cafes before finding this one). |
| The Aussie Lamington |
| Sponge cake, dipped in chocolate icing, dusted with coconut. |
| My breakfast of Aussie champions. |
All said and done, we were awake and calling it 'Sunday' for over 36 hours. It was a ridiculously long day and such a weird phenomena. It was worth it though. What a trip! I feel like I got to know this little part of Australia pretty well, and best of all we had a great time together.
OH, I almost forgot. I found out that kangaroos travel in... Mobs!
Sorry for all the random details for the digital journal. I promise I'll start blogging about something else soon!
Your trip looked wonderful! I loved all the pictures (and especially the bloopers).
ReplyDeleteMOBS!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHow could would it be to be in the kangaroo mob?!
-Lisa