Today we went to a larger beach town about 45 mins north of here called Ulladulla [ahla dolla]. Our intention of going was to hit the Ulladulla Sunday Market that only happens once a month. There was an amazing sausage vendor at the Moruya market, which we were hoping was going to be at the Ulladulla [ahla dolla] Market, because in Moruya they were sold out of this amazing pork sausage, and the guy said you have to get there early to get it. So we were going to get to the Ulladalla Market early, just in case. We/I figured that since the Moruya market was surprisingly big for a small town, that the Ulladalla market would be big because it’s a bigger town. (P.S. SLPs - I can't get to my IPA alphabet right now.. so I'm sorry for the unprofessional pronunciations!)
We have never been more wrong. This market was basically a rummage sale. There were some repeat vendors from the Moruya market, but not the sausage guy. Mostly there was used clothes, tools and random things with some food vendors and a few produce vendors. *disappointing*
On top of having our plans for the morning shortened, it was about 8:00 AM and nothing is really open that early. So.. we drove around, found a beach, played, and had coffee and a second breakfast/brekky. Blake had a ‘choc chip’ muffin (chocolate muffin) and a ‘flat white coffee’ – a latte, although he was just trying to order plain drip coffee, which they don’t really have because people just drink instant coffee here, or espresso. I had something that I’d been wanting to order since the day we arrived, but it isn’t really a meal, so I haven’t ordered it until now, when I didn’t really need a meal. A Devonshire Tea –which comes with two scones, jam and cream. It really is just Lipton tea, two standard biscuits, jam and whipped cream. I loved it all the same. First because I love biscuits, and also because it was really fun. I kind of feel like I’m in England, more than Australia sometimes. Made my morning anyway.
After that we drove around Ulladulla until things started opening, we were searching for an aboriginal walk that had information about the history of the area, but we couldn’t find it. By now the town was open and bustling and we decided to go wine tasting at a winery that was recommended to us, Cupitt’s. They had barely opened when we got there, but it was fun to hear about and taste some Australian wine, as compared to all the wineries around us. It was also nice to have some one-on-one time with an Australian, in order to pick his brain a little.
Through him, I discovered that in fact, there is no real difference in Australian food, just a mixture of Italian, French and Asian. Pretty much like in the US, with a few exceptions in pronunciation and some specific foods (like Vegemite, which I still have yet to try). The only quirky thing we have noticed is that everywhere from gas stations to bakeries advertise their amazing pies. We have been wondering what is their obsession with pie? We finally checked it out and they don’t just mean fruit pies, they mean meat pies, like what we would call pot pies. Small, personal sized pies, meat and fruit. I haven’t asked an insider why they love pies yet, but I will. I will also have to try some!
We did some more wandering, driving and sightseeing on our way home. Stopped for lunch in Moruya, which we find has more to it every time we drive through, and came ‘home’ for a swim and a leisurely evening. The pool was reported to be a ‘heated indoor pool’ and by that they mean solar heated only and barely considered indoors. There is a ‘hot tub’ and a kiddie pool, but those are just varied in size to the main pool, and definitely the same temperature. I’m not a swimmer, but Blake did a few laps, we tried to sit in the ‘hot’ tub and read but gave up pretty quickly and came back to take a hot bath (but actually hot) in the Jacuzzi tub that doesn’t work, but at least holds both of us. Can’t really complain though because it beats work any day and it was a relaxing time with the hubs… can’t go wrong.
Made dinner at home, a bit of an experience with the limited supplies they give us in the kitchen here. Blake wanted to stay up to watch a movie that came on at 8:30, which I think he did, but I absolutely didn’t make it past 8:15!
No comments:
Post a Comment
What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!