Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rachel Lake

Last weekend we braved the trek to Rachel Lake in the Wenatchee National Forest, crossing into parts of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. If I had to sum it up in one word: I couldn't. Me one word!? Please. But I will try to be short(er).

It was brutal. In total you gain 1800 feet of elevation in 4 miles. The first 1.5 miles are gradual but noticeable incline, then you get a beautiful mile of easy walking through 'the jungle' and tree covered pathways following Box Canyon Creek, after that it's a cruel mile of incline, followed by another half mile of noticeable but tolerable incline. Back to the cruel mile - not only do you gain approx 1300 feet in elevation in one mile, but you are climbing up tree roots, climbing over rocks, and the trail is also a stream most of the time. I almost cried,  barely made it,  could have camped halfway up the trail and been fine with never seeing the top,  swore this was my last hike because I'm getting too old really enjoyed the challenge.

Oh what a challenge it was! After making it down alive, muscles barely still connected and moving myself one year closer to knee replacements (down is harder than up on the joints) I am glad that we did it. The views were amazing and having the story to tell and the pictures to share make it worth it. At least it will be worth it once I can walk normally again. Currently, I am still hobbling from sore shins and calves - thanks to the cruel mile going down.

I came away from Rachel Lake with mixed feelings. It was gorgeous (as you'll see in a minute), but it was overrun with people. We passed over thirty day hiking parties on our way up and a few more on our way out. There were at least ten other backpacking groups up there when we made it up, and more came after us. It was hard to find a camping spot. Not exactly what you expect to be rewarded with when you brutalize yourself to get there. In addition, it was unbelievably windy (something that was not mentioned in any of the trail reviews - so I'm not sure if it is always this windy). The wind was so strong and loud that we could barely sleep through the noise our tent made. We couldn't have a fire, which is smart with all that wind, but it left us no option but to huddle inside the tent instead of outside enjoying the splendor of God's creation - which we hiked four intense miles up to see!

All in all, I'm glad we did it. I would do it over, but I won't likely do it again. Mostly because of the overuse of the trail. I feel like it would be abusing the wilderness to let my boots trample that path twice, since so many other boots will be going up and down it. I've had my turn.

Here are the pictures to tell the rest of the story. There are many of them, but if you could feel the pain in my legs, you'd agree that I earned them ;)
The traditional trail head picture.
Yes, I'm blocking the sign.

Stopping along the way.
Taking a picture is a good excuse to stop.

Usually, I am taking pictures of everyone as we hike along.
I wanted one shot of 'hiking' with me in it.
We joked that we should look like we're actively hiking.
Jason took it seriously. He's our REI manikin.

Me and Whitney, windblown but happy to be sitting.

Such gentlemen, let us ladies have the log for our break.
Entering the jungle.

We hiked through 'meadows' like this
which made it hard to see the trail
at times... and our party!

Snacks are also a good reason to take a break.
This is just before we started the climb!

See how high up he is! Ugh!

This is what they call a 'trail'.

A beautiful, surprising and welcomed sight.
I hadn't read about this waterfall in the reviews.
You have no idea how great the mist felt!

This waterfall marked the halfway point
of the cruel mile (or about halfway).

So much incline! And snow! In August! Not too
surprising though, since snow was the reason
for our short lived hike to Bird Creek Meadows

We have arrived!

Rachel Lake - 4650 ft. elevation

First things first, food!

Our camping spot


Phew! Made it!

All snuggled in the tent, out of the wind.

Our view from inside the tent.
Experimenting with the exposure settings on my camera.


Packing up camp!
Here are a couple of my favorite flower pictures (there were millions of them - flowers and pictures):


And here are a few highlight collages:
All the flowers <3

Amazing views

and because I couldn't get it to insert chronologically above
...the food reel. dinner, breakfast and coffee.
Yes, those are real mountain berries that Jason picked!

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with your intense hiking (Denny Creek / Melawkwa Lake is my idea of a hard hike) and just for the record, you look entirely too cute while you are hiking. Especially if it was windy. Good for you for doing that! (And "one year closer to knee replacements" actually made me laugh out loud. You sound like a PT).
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!