Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How To Leave A Comment

I've had a few people mention that they are either having trouble commenting or aren't sure how to comment. I thought I'd make a comprehensive comment tutorial as a post, so that people can look at it as needed. If you know some of this, feel free to skip around. This post can also be found on the right side of the page between Labels and Archive.

I know that there have been times that I've tried to post on someone's blog and no matter what I try... it just won't go through. Sometimes blog servers have bad days too and the comments just won't work. Try again another day or let me know if it happens time after time!

To get started you click, "Comments" at the bottom of the post in the dark gray area. If someone has already commented it will say "1 Comments" (poor grammar, I know) or "2 Comments" etc. This will open up a new window, in which you can write your comment.

Generally, I type in my comment and then immediately select the text and right click, "copy", because there's nothing worse than typing out all those thoughts and having something go wrong and having to re-type it!


Next you type in those funny letters (see above). I know this is kind of a pain but it is a necessary evil. There are people out there that create programs to search out comment fields and leave icky or pesky comments. The word verification just ensures that you are, in fact, human.

Next, choose an identity. 

Because my blog is owned by Google, they give that as the first option. If you have a Google account, such as Gmail, Blogger or Picasa (but there are more), then you can log in with your Google username/password and leave a comment with that username. If you don't have one, you can create one by clicking that option and hitting "publish your comment."

If you have an account with another blog server or website, some of them allow you to log in with those accounts:  LiveJournal, WordPress, TypePad or AIM

 If you do not have any of those accounts and don't want to create them, you have two options.

You can enter your Name/URL:
This will post your comment with whatever name you enter and if you also enter a URL, then it will make your name a link to the website you enter. The URL has to be a website, and cannot be an email address - I tried that and it doesn't work. So if you don't have a blog or website, then just leave the URL blank and enter your name. This is what it will look like:


Your last option is to comment anonymously.
This is really a feature for people that want to share their opinion but do not want their identity known. Some people don't like having their name on the internet or just don't want to be associated with the comment they are sharing.

However, sometimes this is the only option that will work (at least that's what I've found on other blogs). So if you have to use this option and you want me to know who is commenting then just sign your name at the end of your comment. It will post your comment like this:

Hope this helps!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like this post should get lots of comments. And I want to be one of them.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!