Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Anticipation

I love Christmas. I love everything about it. I was realizing the other day that I might love looking forward to Christmas almost more than I love the actual day.

I love decorating (albeit simply) and watching the world get decorated. I love the crisp air, the red Starbucks cups and warm seasonal drinks, the wool coats and bright scarves. I love that the whole world - or at least the country - is recognizing the same season of giving that all started with God's gift to us (like it or not!). I love that songs about the birth of our Savior fill the airways, even in the most secular places. I love the list making and list finishing. I love that everyday has a bit of purpose in getting you toward that big day. I just love getting ready for Christmas.

All of these things bring back warm memories from childhood and stir up leftover warm-fuzzies from past Christmases. The anticipation of Christmas is the gift that keeps on giving - from a few days before Thanksgiving through the candle light Christmas Eve service. There is just something different in the air, the hopeful expectation is almost tangible.

: :

Part of this appreciation for looking forward comes from my friend Whitney. She always makes sure to have future plans so that she has something to look forward to during a busy week or stressful month. Whitney is also very good about making sure that we always have a plan for when we will see each other again soon after our latest get together. It has kept our friendship thriving. Through her, I've learned to make sure I always have something to look forward to - adding some joyful anticipation to every day.

On one hand, looking forward to something puts us at risk for wishing today away for tomorrow, but it can also be that that ace up a sleeve that you pull out to lift a crummy mood or brighten a long day. I have found that enjoying every moment of anticipation helps me to appreciate the days until something, instead of just wishing away time.

Anticipation is a way to stop and smell the roses along the journey. 

1 comment:

  1. I love looking forward to things too!! And I love Christmas... except for the part where it tends to be less than 20 degrees, although I would be more accepting of that if some lovely snow were present. :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!