Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Late Night Scones

I'm back at it with The Great Australian Pumpkin Recipe Book (the GAPRB).

I had some left over pumpkin puree from making ice cream and thought it was time for some pumpkin scones.

I had planned on making these for my monthly SLP meeting. All day I thought about it, a little concerned that I would be up late because I worked in Pendleton tonight. I walked in the door and... completely forgot I was supposed to make them. It wasn't until I was climbing into bed at 11:00 that I remembered. Now, I am better at staying up than I am at getting up... so I opted for making them tonight and going to bed late.

So here I sit, warm, fluffy pumpkin scone in hand at 1:00 am, waiting for them to cool enough to be covered.

Here's the recipe (adapted from the GAPRB and this recipe):


Pumpkin Scones
2 Cups Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 TBS vanilla
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ cup Plus 2 TBS sugar
½ cup ice cold butter cut into small cubes
½ cup chopped pecans save some for the top (optional)
½ cup ice cold pumpkin puree
½ cup of golden raisins (optional)
2 T cinnamon


For the glaze
2 TBS cream/milk
1 cup plus 1 TBS powdered sugar


For the spice drizzle:
1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves


Directions:
Cut butter into cubes and refrigerate until ready to use

Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl

Cut the butter into the flour mixture with pastry blender until resembles coarse meal (or use food processor).

It looks powdery, but will hold its shape when squeezed.

In a smaller bowl whisk the pumpkin puree and the egg, and vanilla
My new favorite kitchen gadget. A tiny adjust-a-cup!

I added a little spice to this too - optional.

Add to the dry mixture mixing with a fork (or processor), and stir until just combined.
Careful not to over mix it.
Then gently add the nuts and raisins (if desired).
I made a double batch, so I ended up mixing it in a big bowl.
No nuts for me, just golden raisins.


Pour the dough mix onto a lightly floured board and pat into a 7 inch 1 to 1 ½ inch high disk.

Cut into in half then quarters and then in eights as evenly as possible.
Again, this is a double batch and I made minis.

Place the scones on a baking sheet with sil-pat or parchment paper – this ensures even browning on the bottom.

Bake at 375 degrees for 17 minutes and take them out, it’s easy to over bake them.
If making mini scones – bake for 15 minutes.

Make glaze by combining ingredients.


Brush on plain glaze when they come out of the oven.

Drizzle with spice glaze when they are cool (I put spiced glaze in a zip top bag and snip the corner). See this post about the spice glaze.

Pick the goofiest looking one and test it out for quality!

Mmm. So very, very pumpkin good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!