This is just me thinking some things through here. A total contradiction to my last post.. because I'm sure I'm not making this simple.
Friendship is something I've never fully understood. I mean, I know that I enjoy a good friendship. I know when a friendship just works and when a friendship takes work, but sometimes I'm not sure why we are friends with the people that we are friends with (not that I question those that I call friend, just the idea in general).
Why do some friendships last forever, and some only through a season? Why do some people have a million friends and others have only a few? What drives people to make friends? What drives people to stay friends?
Specifically, what makes people want to be friends with me? What do I have to offer that someone else can't? I don't say that to be hard on myself, I just often wonder this. Why am I blessed with their friendship, even if just for a season? What did I do to deserve it? Maybe it isn't about deserving?
I'm one of those people that have a {very} few close friends instead of many acquaintances. I value intense friendship - being able to really know a person and to really connect and support each other. This is, to me, why we have friends - to support, encourage, challenge and love one another.
I feel like it isn't easy to make friends. I don't know if this is a gene I'm missing or just my personality, but it is something that I struggle with. It's easy enough to make acquaintances at work that you can share a work friendship with, or make acquaintances though church that you can share accountability and faith with, but sometimes those friendships don't last outside of those environments (and sometimes they do).
I know that there are times when a friend comes in and out of my life by clear design of God. I can look back and see God's purpose in that friendship. I can also see why the friendship moved on, we grew and started that mentoring with other friends etc. This is a hard thing about friendships, but I can see the purpose in it, so it eases the change.
I wonder, though, what is the ingredient that makes a friendship last despite a change in environment, frequency of interaction and stages of life? What is it that makes a friendship really thrive?
Is it chemistry? Is it the right combination of shared interests? Is it mutual shared investment in the friendship? Is it all of those things?
I have no answers really. I never have. I am just thankful for the time I have been given with the friends I have.
Maybe someday I'll wrap my head around this friendship thing.
I like these thoughts! I think friendships that last are due to all of the things you mentioned, but specifically to a commitment on both sides to keep that friendship alive.
ReplyDeleteI would rather have a few close friends than many acquaintances, too. I have been thinking about this as we prepare to move...back to the place we were 2 years ago. It will be interesting to see what my friendships do...
True! That's something I think about a lot. Our friends come and go with the military lifestyle-- everyone moves so frequently! Some ladies I talk to years later, others disappear. We got extended in Jax until next fall while our close friends moved... now I'm making friends again but know I'll be gone in 10 months. Is it worth the effort?
ReplyDeleteHmmm. Yes, friendship is interesting. I don't have any answers, either, and I agree that there has to be a commitment to keeping the friendship there, but, also... I just think part of it how easy it is. Or not easy. Some people are just easy to hold on to no matter what and some are not. I have no idea why.
ReplyDelete-Lisa