Sunday, July 10, 2011

Time for Tidbits

Busy weeks mean less time for blogging and more things going on… which is a recipe for tidbits, in order to catch this digital journal up!

~ 

I took a new job. I mentioned that I was considering another job. I had a phone interview, an in-person interview and the next day accepted their offer. I had decided to find a different job because my current job was not giving me as many hours as I had been getting during my first few months. After giving it plenty of time for the caseload to pick back up (about seven months), I was still getting only 2-4 hours a day. Here's the irony (because there has to be irony)… the very next week, after accepting the new job, I worked a full 40 hour week. AHH! So most of this busy week has been spent at work.

 ~

I have been waking up earlier, striving to meet one of my goals and in preparation for my new job (which doesn’t start until August 30th). It has been going well. I’ve been getting up between 6:00 and 6:45 each morning, which is a pretty big deal for me. It has been helpful to have my cool new table on the balcony, which motivates me to get out there before it gets blistering hot. This has also helped accomplish another goal of better quiet times.

~

 Half the table full!
Cherries as far as the eye can see.
It has been cherry season around here. We were able to pick some cherries from a friend’s tree… and by some, I mean around 10 pounds. It was cherry insanity. I didn’t think it was possible, but I actually ate so many cherries that I got tired of them... for a little while.





~

Blake’s family has a fourth of July gathering, which is more like a family reunion. It is said that this gathering started out as a family picnic/BBQ at which friendly outdoor games, such as horseshoes, were played. Not anymore. Now this event is a family horseshoe tournament (complete with bracket) at which food may be consumed. These people take their horseshoes very seriously. My enjoyment of this event is limited due to my lack of interest and ability in competitive games, including horseshoes. I bring this up to (a) vent my frustrations with this holiday event and (b) share my enjoyment of making this dessert for the party. I have decided that it is my favorite dessert (I find it hard to commit to a favorite in most categories). I ate such a dessert in Paris (at the airport) and in Venice.

So simple, so delicious, so chocolately. Oh how I crave it!

My Red (white) and Blue Chocolate Tart for July 4th


My Paris 'tarte au chocolat'

My venice 'crostata alla cioccolato' or in this case
'crostata alla Nutella' because it's chocoate-hazelnut.
This is my favorite way to have a chocolate tart.. with hazelnuts.

~

We just finished The Truth Project in our small group/Bible study. The Truth Project is a 13-week DVD series put out by Focus on the Family and I highly recommend it. It was unbelievably well done and exponentially increased our understandings of the current world views and our own Biblical world view. It was not only a great source of interesting information, but has also increased my confidence in speaking with people of other religions (or lack thereof) and differing world views. A really great experience! We also switched from Tuesday to Thursday nights, which causes a welcomed little adjustment in our weekly routine.

~

Our small group is now working our way through Westminster’s Shorter Catechism, with some scrutiny, and with the purpose of learning the answers to the basic questions of our faith and the scripture that supports it. The intention is that if such an opportunity comes up to share our faith, we can speak with confidence and evidence in scripture, rather than saying, “I think the Bible says,” or “my pastor says.” I love the idea of EBP (evidenced based practice) in my faith too ;). I find that when I search for scripture, to answer a question or share with someone, I usually recall it more readily after finding it myself vs. being told.

~

We had church outside again today, and it was the one Sunday a month that we have one service at 10:00. This time of year the amphitheater service is moved to the 8:45 service because of the heat. So by the end of this 10:00 service, we are all sweating and melting. It is so very convicting because often times I am complaining (in my head) about the heat, the grass, the sweat dripping down my back etc. I am reminded of the believers in Haiti that walk long distances, dress in their finest clothes (not shorts and a tank-top) and sit in a stuffy rough structure or tent on hard wood benches for the joy and privilege of worshiping and hearing God’s word. Not to mention the thousands of believers that meet in dark, stuffy, hot rooms after traveling for miles and risking their lives to meet in secret because it is illegal for them to do so. What a privilege to sit out in the open, enjoy God’s creation and listen to His word… and to have an air conditioned building readily available. We are so spoiled.

~

Lastly, we are driving to Seattle on a Sunday afternoon to surprise some friends at a birthday BBQ. It will be so nice to visit with them! I hope that our surprise appearance isn’t an inconvenience! We didn’t think that we’d be able to swing a Sunday afternoon party, but decided if we could, we’d make it work.. which we did.

*this didn't post as scheduled, so let me just add that the birthday party was fantastic. Great food, fun games and most of all, great friends. It was a fun visit, even though it was short.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!