Sunday, July 24, 2011

Family

We spent our weekend visiting family in Idaho. On my mom's side of our family, cousins are like brothers and sisters, and aunts and uncles are like second parents.

It was so nice to see one family and enjoy them for the entire weekend, rather than dutifully splitting it up between Blake's family and mine. It would have been fun if my parents or brothers could have come, but it's a much longer drive for them and the visit wasn't for any specific reason, just a chance to see each other and catch up.

It was a low-key weekend in Buhl, Idaho, filled with golf for Blake and yarn crafts for me. My aunt and uncle were part of a fundraising event that included local vendor booths, live music and food. My aunt makes fantastic handbags and she was kind enough to let me share her booth with some of my crocheted hats and headbands. It was my first time having a booth for my goods (and the first time I've had any amount of inventory). This was also the only picture I took this weekend - not the greatest!

I didn't realize that my aunt was unfavorably positioned
in the background.. oops. I wish the table cloth had
been white, but otherwise enjoyed setting up the table.
Zoomed in from the picture above.. this was my latest hat style.
I found a pattern for these little birds and thought I'd
add them to a little hat. It's unisex, but I liked the idea of another
option for boy hats, which are hard to think of different
ways to make them cute. Girl hats are much easier!

.:.

The only other picture I took this week was of the dessert I made for Bible study on Thursday. I've been trying to make this dessert for three weeks now, but didn't get home early enough from work until this week. I found the recipe here. I was also using this as an excuse to use my new mini cheesecake pan!

Blueberry Lemon Bars with Coconut Crust
This wasn't my favorite recipe for lemon bars, kind of too sweet and lemon-drop candy tasting, but I liked the idea of adding blueberries and coconut. I probably won't make these again though because the coconut was lost in the crust and I'm kind of a purist. I love lemon bars and blueberries but I don't think that the two were overly enhanced by being put together. I'll stick to my tried and true lemon bar recipe, but I'm still glad I tried these, everyone else loved them!

3 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with your birds on the hat :) I can crochet (kind of) and knit (kind of, again) and have made a few hats, but have not had a ton of success with adding anything to it. Well granted I tried to add WSU letters to a hat and I think that was too ambitious for a beginning. Anyway, Good work!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how many compliments I have had on Claire's hat. Every time she wears it, someone comments on how cute it is! :) And I love the birds! I'll be putting a fall hat order into you here soon, once I get a better idea of how big her noggin is going to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I think I fixed the pictures now. Sometimes picasaweb drives me nuts!

    Thanks girls!
    Lisa- keep working at it, it just takes a little practice for letters and embellishments. You should see some of my first things (eek)!

    Julie- Glad it fits and that it's liked! Usually heads don't grow much from one to three... but you never know ;)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!