I thought I would share my absolute favorite cheesecake recipe. It is my go-to recipe and I follow it as written (a rarity). Okay, I guess I tweek a few things, but not the main ingredients. I've also started using this recipe, minus the citrus zest, and turned it into the other flavors of cheesecakes that I've liked best. Such was the case with the mini cheesecake extravaganza we just had. One recipe three flavors (plain/hint of lemon-topped with fresh berries, Turtle swirl and mint chocolate swirl). I was going to do a fourth, but decided that most people like plain anyway (which they did).
New York Cheesecake
Gourmet | November 1999
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Active Time: 45 min
Total Time: 10 hr
Ingredients
1 1 crumb-crust recipe, made with finely ground graham crackers
5 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
5 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Make crumb crust as directed in separate recipe. Press into 9" x 2.5" (or taller) springform pan. Wrap outside of pan with heavy duty foil, to prevent water seeping in from water bath.
(I use the pre-crumbed graham cracker crumbs and use the recipe on the box)
Preheat oven to 550°F.
Preparation
Beat together cream cheese (room temp), sugar, flour, and zests with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, then vanilla, beating on low speed until each ingredient is incorporated and scraping down bowl between additions.
*variations: if you want to make a different flavor, omit the zests.*
Put springform pan with crust in a baking or broiling pan. Pour filling into crust (springform pan will be completely full). Fill the baking/broiling pan with water, halfway up the side of the foil covered springform pan. Place carefully in middle of oven 12 minutes, or until puffed. Reduce temperature to 200°F and continue baking until cake is mostly firm (center will still be slightly wobbly when pan is gently shaken), about 1 hour more. **Note. I have also just baked this at 350, straight for an hour and 15 minutes. It is more likely to crack this way, but is a little easier, since most ovens don't get to 550.
Run a knife around top edge of cake to loosen and cool completely in springform pan on a rack. Chill cake, loosely covered, at least 6 hours. Remove side of pan and transfer cake to a plate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
· Cheesecake keeps, covered and chilled, 2 weeks.
I have also made the following cheesecake recipes, and would recommend them with some exceptions:
Lemon Curd Marbled Cheesecake - delicious
Toffee Crunch Caramel Cheesecake - fantastic
Strawberry Coconut Cheesecake - different but very delicous. Not overly coconutty
Pumpkin Cheesecake (without the topping)
.
Deep Dark Chocolate Cheesecake - it's rich, watch out!
Triple Cherry Cheesecake - worst cheesecake recipe, but great topping recipe
Turtle Swirl Cheesecake - My first one - the one that started it all!
Dutch Chocolate Mint Cheesecake - Also super rich!
| My first one, for Blake's 28th birthday. Turtle Swirl Cheesecake |
![]() |
| My only other photographed cheesecake, for another baby shower. Deep Dark Chocolate Cheesecake with Nutella ganache frosting (my own touch). |

I'm afraid of cheesecake. Making it, not eating it! I think I will have to conquer my fears here soon. You make it sound easy.
ReplyDeleteYou should definitely try it! It seems scary, but it's suprisingly easy. Most important is to have the cream cheese at room temp so you don't get lumps. Other than that it's no brainer mixing. The water bath part can be scary, but it's not too bad and just supposed to prevent cracking, which might happen anyway. Still tastes great with a crack!
ReplyDelete