Tuesday, July 12, 2011

be·lieve

verb /biˈlēv/ 
  1. Accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of
    - the superintendent believed Lancaster's story
  2. Accept the statement of (someone) as true
    - he didn't believe her or didn't want to know
  3. Have faith, esp. religious faith
    - there are those on the fringes of the Church who do not really believe
  4. Feel sure that (someone) is capable of a particular action
    - I wouldn't have believed it of Lois—what an extraordinary woman!
  5. Hold (something) as an opinion; think or suppose
    - I believe we've already met
    - four men were believed to be trapped
    (source)
I really like definitions (if you haven't noticed).

I enjoy reading the Amplified Bible when I'm doing some studying. It takes word meaning and context and builds it into the verse. It basically gives contextual definitions within the passage, which is probably why I love it. I particularly like how the Amplified version defines believe in: "Believe in [cling to, adhere to, rely on, trust in]."

For example:
Do not let your hearts be troubled [distressed, agitated]. You believe in [adhere to, trust in, and rely on] God; believe in [adhere to, trust in, rely on] Me also. John 14:1

Through Him you believe in [adhere to, rely on] God, who raised Him up from the dead and gave Him honor and glory, so that your faith and hope are [centered and rest] in God. 1 Peter 1:21

And whoever continues to live and believes in [has faith in, cleaves to, and relies on] Me shall never [actually] die at all. John 11:26

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in [trusts in, clings to, relies on] Him shall not perish [come to destruction, be lost] but have eternal [everlasting] life. John 3:16

But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the authority [power, privilege, right] to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in [adhere to, trust in and rely on] his name. John 1:12

The scripture says, "no man who believes in Him [who adheres to, relies on, and trusts in Him] will [ever] be put to shame or be disappointed Romans 10:11

This word has found it's way into my home in a few different ways:

I liked this wedding card, we received it and I've
bought it for a few other couples too.

I think this sign came with that card, actually.
It sits up there in our kitchen
I like the idea of word signs, but can't usually commit to a saying. I really like this one though. It was a great wedding gift, something I wouldn't have bought myself but ended up being perfect. I think that the gift giver probably meant for it to mean 'believe in love', since it was a wedding gift. I like that it can mean more than one thing, and can fit many situations. To me, it means believe in Jesus, believe in His love, believe in our love, believe in God's design for marriage and believe that we can make it because of these beliefs.

Even though I like the idea, I think that the word signs or phrases/verses written on your wall thing is probably a fad and it might end up dating our house, but it can be done well and can look cute. If we own a house in the near future, I will try to make myself commit to a verse or two ;).

Reading the Amplified Bible, however, is not a fad... although I think it was when it first came out. Now it's just a good study tool. You can see it online at biblegateway.com by selecting this as your translation, it is also available in most Bible apps. Try it out next time you want some deeper understanding of a verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!