Lately, I can't get enough history! Several weeks ago I was riding through the Columbia River Gorge soaking in the general splendor and felicity of the change in scenery from brown to green. It crossed my mind on that trip, as it has on many trips before, that during the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1805 this gorgeous area might have looked much different.
That time my curiosity was peaked and I googled to find out what they really thought about my Columbia gorge during their voyage. As it turns out, they weren't as impressed with it as I expected them to be. However, they also had some significant challenges to deal with which can not be appreciated from the climate controlled seat of one's car.
This was just the beginning. When we arrived at my parents' house that weekend, I was sharing a new book with my mom and came across one of her new books, The Journals of Lewis and Clark. What great timing! After reading little excerpts on google, I had decided to search for a book of more original journals when I got home. My mom wasn't planning on reading it right away (or so she said) and she let me borrow it. It has been somewhat slow reading, but still very interesting.
The real history lesson comes from the combination of books I'm reading/listening to: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, for my book club; the aforementioned Journals; and the biographical novel Undaunted Courage. Ben Franklin finishes his autobiography just before the Revolutionary war has been won, and Undaunted Courage picks up a little before then. The three literary works compliment each other nicely and paint a very clear picture of that point in history.
I can easily recall certain dates, names, presidents etc from that time period, a feat that prior to this literary journey I would have failed at miserably. I could actually tell you who the first three presidents of the US are, and what they were famous for! I'm still reading The Journals and Undaunted Courage but have finished Ben Franklin. The history lesson continues!
It has been so fun to truly appreciate history lately. I am soaking it in and enoying the captivation that leads to learning.
Here are some pictures from a visit my family and I look to Fort Clatsop in 2004. Fort Clatsop was where the expedition corps stayed after reaching the Pacific in the winter of 1805 I can't wait to go back again after all of this reading!
| A bed and fireplace |
| Beds and candle molds (hanging) |
![]() |
| This was a demonstration of candle making |
| My dad (left) and our friends outside the cabins, in the fort |
![]() |
| My parents and I, leaving the Fort. |
![]() |
| A better idea of what it really looked like. Amazing that they have made this working replica and what an incredible journey that brought the Corps of Discovery there. |



I just picked up a biography of Abigail Adams. She was an amazing woman and I have re-learned a lot about the Revolutionary period and found it really interesting this time around. :)
ReplyDeleteI'll have to add that one to the list!
ReplyDelete