We wanted to have one last weekend getaway before the baby came, but we didn't want to go too far.. in case the baby came. We decided to take advantage of Memorial Day weekend, which was also when I hit 37 weeks.
At first we thought we'd go to Walla Walla because it was only an hour from home. Then we thought... what would we do in Walla Walla for two days/nights. So then we looked into a B&B in Leavenworth... but then we thought.. what will we do in Leavenworth for two days/nights.. we could only think of about a days worth of shopping etc (and lots of hiking... but that's not exactly the best activity for someone 8+ months pregnant). So then we decided on Spokane. Still close enough to get home if needed but diverse enough to keep us entertained for the weekend.
We went up on Saturday and came home Monday. Before we left on Saturday I set up the tripod and coerced Blake into taking some pictures :). The wind kicked up right as we started, so I didn't get very many acceptable ones (that and there's only so much you can do with a remote and/or timer).
After pictures we loaded up the car and headed northeast. As soon as we pulled into the hotel parking lot it occurred to me that I didn't remember seeing the bathroom bag (a small duffle bag with our toiletries and usually an extra pair of shoes) in the car. I asked Blake if he'd put it in and he confirmed that no.. we forgot it! So that put a new spin on the weekend! We checked in and then headed to the store to buy some bare minimum necessities to get us through the weekend. We were able to laugh about it, really. It was funny to me that this was the last time we'd be able to get away with packing so light.
Blake and I have some memories in Spokane from the occasional visits he made when I lived there for grad school. We revisited restaurants (Elk Public House, Twigs on the South Hill - where Blake took me for my birthday one year), went to a movie, walked around the park and did some shopping. We also decided to go out to to Couer d'Alene, Idaho and do some shopping, eating and wandering around. We really enjoyed the little shops and a nice sized antique store as we meandered through their little downtown area. Essentially, it was similar to what we would have done in Walla Walla or Leavenworth, but we still had Spokane to fill the rest of our time, since that only took an afternoon. We enjoyed ourselves though anyway and were glad we went for the day.
I only took one picture the entire time we were in Spokane (minimal toiletries doesn't make for very good subjects in pictures) ;). I was resting on a bench during our walk through Coeur d'Alene and thought this bike was cool, so I snapped a shot with my phone. :)
So there you have it - our babymoon. A little different than we expected but still a sweet weekend away together. We enjoy each others' company no matter where we are, but it was fun to revisit some of those places that we went when we were single. I can only imagine how different our next weekend in Spokane will be!


Well, I hope on your next weekend in Spokane you see what I am up to. Pumpkin will probably want to go to a park or something. There are some good ones by my house :)
ReplyDelete-Lisa