It was a hot day in late July, 1995. I was twelve years old. My brothers, Jared and Jordan, and I were hanging out at the Cowlitz County Fairgrounds because my parents had a vendor space for their tractor business.
We spent our days wandering the fair, blowing up balloons and trying to get any free things we could from the commercial building. Some of my older brother's friends from school were there and would stop by to say hi now and then. One of those friends was Blake.
That is how we met. He was a charmer with red hair, a baby face and smile that melted your heart.
I immediately had a crush on him. He came by pretty often and would ask my little brother, Jordan, to go walk around with him (to check out cute chicks). Once, he asked me to come along. I found out later from Jordan that he had asked me to come along because then he wouldn't have to look too far for a cute chick.
Time went on and the next summer Blake would come over with other friends of Jared's for paintball wars in our field. I would watch the guys gear up for their paintball game from an upstairs window. Once I was joined by Jordan who wasn't allowed to play in this particular war. I told him I thought Blake was so cute, his red hair easily seen from far away.
"He never talks to me though," I said with a pout like only a thirteen year old girl can, "doesn't seem to notice I'm there."
"That's because Jared said that he'd beat him up if he ever looked at you again," Jordan told me with a grin.
I remember being so mad that my brother would interfere like that. Who was he to say who could talk to me and who couldn't!? Then I remembered that Jared was usually right about things, and I was the kind of thirteen year old that knew that nothing would really come of a crush anyway. So I let it be. I still made the guys sandwiches and snacks for after their game, and enjoyed the praise that hungry guys gave to anyone that brought them food. I still had a crush on Blake (and honestly, one or more of the other boys too) but nothing could be done about a protective brother. And that was that for many years.
Blake says that after a few years, around the end of high school, he realized that he was bigger than my brother Jared. He realized that he could talk to me now because my brother couldn't beat him up anymore. And so the friendship began... mostly with a lot of teasing by Blake.
The story continues here...
What a fun story :) I read your continuation story too :) So fun to have all that history together! Dave I met 10 years ago this past September, and I thought that felt like a long time, but I think you've got that beat ;-)
ReplyDelete-Lisa
I never knew that about you guys! It gives me hope that my little girl will always have her big brother looking out for her. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is so sweet! :-)
ReplyDelete