Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Drum Roll Please...

And now the moment we've all I've been waiting for...

A photo affectionately referred to as IMG_0001

Yes. That's right. The first picture.

I have obsessed over this for quite some time. I've been researching and reading and doing everything I could in order to be prepared for this moment. In the end, my camera arrived on Monday but I had to work until 10:30 pm.. not a prime picture taking hour. So then I had to wait some more until 7:50 in the morning and snap a few pictures before work. Fortunately, my dear husband suggested buying some flowers this weekend so that I would have something to photograph when the long awaited camera arrived.

ISO 160   f/1.4   SS 1/640  WB: Auto

I'll admit, the white balance and ISO were on auto but it was in manual mode. My goal is to keep it in manual as long as possible. Kind of like constraint induced therapy ;). After this shot I realized that the white balance wasn't what I wanted and I changed it.

Here is picture two, a little warmer:

ISO 125  f/1.4  SS 1/640  WB: Cloudy

After that I went for a self portrait:

ISO 500  f/1.4  SS 1/640  WB: Cloudy

And to spare you the sixty or so pictures of the flowers I took when I got home from work (after dark).. here is just one. I don't love it.. but I didn't love any of the fifty-nine before it either.. the lighting in our dining room, or whole entire apartment for that matter, is not great. Especially at night. I just can't get the white balance right, but I do enjoy the Kelvin option.

ISO 2500  f/1.4  SS 1/1000  WB: 2600K

Well, there you have it. My first day of experimentation. We'll see what photo opportunities the future holds!

3 comments:

  1. Oooooh. Oooooh. I loooove the first 2 (actually, I think there are advantages to the WB being both ways. I look forward learning more about it... I haven't played with mine yet- slowly working up to it!). And the picture of you is great! Loving the f1.4 and blurry backgroundedness. YAYE CAMERA!!!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Indoors at night is impossible! You pulled it off rather nicely! Impressive for your first few shots. Looking forward to the next 1000 pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! Enjoy the new camera!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!