I got an email today from ASHA (the American Speech-Language Hearing Association) with a tip. Now, it's not unusual to receive emails from them, I just don't think I've had one like this before. It strikes me as funny for some reason. I think it's funny because they recognize that as a member of ASHA, we're probably stressed and thought they should give us a
position statement about it handy hint for better living. It also cracks me up because of how it's worded, like a therapy goal. In the end, I'm sharing it because it actually kind of supports blogging. Here's the advice from ASHA's new "Circle of Support":
|
 |
|
Feeling stressed? Try journaling about your emotional stressors. - Find a time and place where you won’t be disturbed, such as at the end of the workday or before going to sleep.
- Write for a minimum of 15 minutes a day for at least 3 consecutive days.
- Once you begin journaling, write continuously. If you run out of things to say before the 15 minutes are over, just repeat whatever you started writing.
- You can write about the same thing each day or you can write about something different.
The most helpful topics to write about when journaling include worries, stressful events, and issues that you have been avoiding. It’s the act of writing down your thoughts that is the real stress management tool here. Afterward, do what you wish with the written material—including ripping it up or deleting it!
Stress management is just one of the topics we'll explore at this brand new Convention activity that ASHA is providing FREE to you as a special treat.
Your ASHA Circle of Support
Learn tips and strategies for better work/life balance
(ASHA Circle of Support Lounge in the Career Fair, Hall B2) Cookies will be served as life coach Barbara Cox facilitates 15-minute classes with tips that will help you navigate toward a better work/life balance, feel calm in the midst of chaos, design your own career path, and more! These classes are more dialogues than lectures, so you’ll meet and mingle with fellow members in an intimate, friendly environment while exploring these topics. Feel free to stop by in between classes to talk with Barbara. We hope you find Your ASHA Circle of Support enlightening and FUN! P.S. We will also be holding two drawings—one for an iPad 2! |
|
|
|
|
Yes, that is pretty much exactly why I blog. :) Now... that is hilarious. I wonder if I got that email? If so, I probably deleted it without reading it, sadly enough, because I get sick of ASHA's constant stream of email. Clearly I need to filter a little more carefully, there are some gems in there :)
ReplyDelete-Lisa
What a great handy hint for better living (thank you for using that by the way). I do feel a bit therapized after reading it.
ReplyDelete