The biggest reason that ASHA was worth it was the CEUs (Continuing Education Units)! You can go to as many or as few sessions as you want but they will all (generally, with few exceptions) count for CEUs. Even poster sessions count. I needed a few more for this year, so I was worried about making sure I went to enough qualifying sessions. I was worried that if I had to leave one session early for another, that I would lose those CEUs. I wasn't sure how they would monitor it, since at other events it's a pretty specific procedure. At ASHA, it's more or less on the honor system and you just enter the codes from the sessions you attended on the website after the convention. So easy! Too Easy? We'll see.
The second reason that ASHA was worth it is the endless possibilities for information. There are session topics on every major area of our field and every niche area of our field. The exhibition hall is fun and full of resources. No matter what you're hoping to explore, discover or try, it's at ASHA. They also have tons of giveaways - you have to be specific about what you want to take away and say no to the rest - and a fun scavenger hunt with an iPhone app (SCVNGR) or text to win some pretty cool prizes (I didn't win - but it was fun). Here's a picture from one of the challenges in the scavenger hunt:
| Yes, that's me and the Passy Muir man. |
The third reason that ASHA was worth it was the people. Even though it's
| Left to Right: Donna Black, Emily (Alderman) Jones, Me, and Tiffany Broaddus |
Apparently ANYONE can present at ASHA. Okay, I know that isn't really true, there is a screening process. It just seems like they let anyone present. There were some really great presenters. Some very well known presenters too, who's individual seminars could have easily cost the same as all of the ASHA convention. That said. There were some really horrible presenters. I'm talking about material that is outdated, undergrad level, poorly presented and straight up useless. I know there are different areas of interest and knowledge levels present, but it was a little frustrating to go to a session for 1-2 hours and feel less intelligent upon exiting. I guess I just had higher expectations for the level of professionalism and information that would be presented. I find that, in general, it is hard to find good continuing ed seminars, so I expected that at ASHA, it would all be good. NOPE! So - buyer beware!
It was also quite confusing and a ton of work to plan your day and pick the sessions you want to attend. You never knew if the one you picked would be full, and if you'd get a seat. It all worked out in the end, but it's a little stressful. You definitely can't plan back-to-back sessions, you need a good half an hour to get from one end of the convention center to another and to arrive in time for an actual seat.
As a side note, San Diego was GORGEOUS! I wasn't great about taking pictures, but trust me it was beautiful. Next year it is in Georgia... hmm. Here's a sad, pathetic picture just before I left of the view from the convention center:
Hi, Donna! Hi, Emily! Hi, Tiffany! So fun you all got to see each other. I remain jealous, I have never been to ASHA and one day, I will go (and hopefully some of my old classmates will be going, too). That was helpful- who would have guessed some sessions would be lame?! Or that it would be that crazy getting around?! And I love the Passy-Muir man. :) Does he say much with his valve on?!
ReplyDelete-Lisa