Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sweet Tooth Tuesday

Soooo, last week's sweet tooth attempt didn't pan out. In the event you ever want to try chia seed chocolate pudding... you've been warned.

This week I tried a single serving cookie. After the brownie in a mug my mom showed me a screenshot of this and I thought I'd better try it out. I didn't mean to have this series of posts centered on microwavable desserts served in mugs.. but so far these are a hit.

Without further ado, here is the single serving microwavable cookie saga.

In reading about the brownie in a mug, reviews said that the egg-less version was best. So I started with an egg-less recipe and jumped right in with a healthy version (whole wheat flour, sucanat).
First you melt the butter, then stir in the sugar and vanilla. Then you mix in flour, baking soda and salt. Now you look all around for your camera. I mean ALL around. Then you give up and just take pictures with your cell phone (this is your warning.. the pictures aren't pretty).



I got this:
Yikes. If you have a tongue that only tastes but doesn't feel texture,
then this is for you. Ya, I ate it.


So then I tried the same recipe but as written, with standard flour and sugar. I got this:

Looks a lot better but it was pretty firm. Ya, I ate it too.
So I thought I might have cooked it too long (I only cooked it for 40 seconds, but our microwave is hot). I decided to make it again and only cook it 30 seconds. I got this:

It's pretty good. Taste and texture are there but it was a little dry
and I had to add extra butter before baking. When the recipe says
1.5-2 TBSP butter and scant cup of flour... go with more butter
and less flour. It also got pretty hard when it cooled,
so 25 secs might have been plenty.

Just to be thorough, I tried a recipe with egg. It goes together pretty much the same, except of course the separating of the egg. I cooked it for 30 seconds and got this:

You can see the added yellow from our farm fresh eggs :)
I tried this one but Blake ate it.
Conclusions: Both the egg recipe and the final trial of the no-egg recipe are edible and cookie like. The egg-less one is a little finicky with the balance of moisture. However, I think that an entire egg yolk in one sitting is a lot. Now, egg yolks are extremely nutritious (particularly raw) but I think the flour and sugar cancel out the nutrition here and I wouldn't really count this as health food, even with the egg yolk. If you think about it, there are two whole eggs in a full batch of cookies.. so one egg yolk in one cookie seems like a lot. Plus then you have the egg white to deal with.

Blake tried both of the better versions and said that the egg recipe had better texture and was a little closer to a cookie, but the egg-less recipe was good too. No matter what, go on the underdone side of cooking times. Microwaves vary greatly and in my experience underdone is better than over done here.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking today...I wish there was some way to bake a batch of treats and eat a couple and then donate the rest to charity. ;) we don't have a microwave so these kind of desserts are out...what's a girl who loves treats but doesn't want to get super fat to do?? I think the solution should be your next Sweet Tooth Tuesday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid to try these because they look so amazing and I fear I would abuse them and then I'll never lose these stupid five pounds that would make me fit into my pants oh-so-much-better.

    Or, I could just buy bigger pants. Maybe I'll do that. Mmmmmm.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I have those same five pounds and pants that aren't as comfortable as they would be without the five pounds. Weird ;). Sweet tooth Tuesday isn't helping, you're right!

      Delete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!