Friday, September 6, 2013

Garden Update

We've been enjoying our garden and all the produce it provides us. So far the harvest includes: zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce varieties, kale, beets, carrots, radishes, potatoes, green beans, snap peas, tomatoes, jalapenos and other hot peppers and more tomatoes. Still to come are: winter squashes, onions and tomatillos.

We've also grown a ridiculous crop of weeds. Every kind imaginable and a much greater variety than last year. Oh my! We pulled hundreds.. if you recall that was how I spent the morning that I was in labor.. but alas, when you just have a baby certain things just slide and weeding the garden was one of them. We eventually resorted to essentially mowing them with the weed eater but now we've all but given up and are resolved to just wading through them.

Can you believe the before and after:

Before..  you can hardly see the 30+ tomato plants because they're so small..

Now you can't see the tomatoes because the grass completely hides even their cages! The beans are
looking good, and the cucumbers have been generous.

The dark green 'bush' is our purple kale plants! They're huge! 
I haven't taken many produce shots but just today I decided to dig up some
potatoes to see how they were doing.. I'd say we might be a little late on harvesting these!
We will definitely miss this garden space next year. Our house sitting/rental term is up when the owners get back from Russia at the end of May. Hopefully there's room for a garden whenever we move to. We've enjoyed the fresh produce (and obviously haven't been too bothered by the weeds)!

3 comments:

  1. We have not loved our garden as well as last year either and you can tell. Our potatoes on the other hand were like ping pong balls. :). For the lack of effort, though we have had a pretty good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Well... It's nice to know you can still grow things in weeds. Often I found that the weeds choked my plants out and they didn't do very well.

    Confession: we are ripping out our garden. It's too much work with the kids. (Plus, it's started to get shaded from a maple tree). We're going to put a play structure for the kids in that space, and maybe have a smaller (aka "more manageable") garden box somewhere else in the yard. I also like gardening in pots. All this because of weeds. Watering I can handle. Weeds I cannot.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - I will say that the the weeds choked out the weaker plants, mostly the snap peas and a couple of the smaller melon plants (but we planted several of each variety).
    That's funny that you're putting in a play area in place of a garden. Makes sense! I'm with you on the garden boxes and containers! I told Blake, we'll do a garden again, but next time it's going to be on our own land and we'll put in a drip system! No more watering the weeds. We have similar plans for flowerbeds (or lack thereof).. I'd rather look at rock than have to pull weeds!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!