Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I Love You

These three little words can be said in haste or they can be said with the deepest of passion.

These three little words are said often because we never know which words will be the last we say to a loved one.

These three little words accompany three little kisses at night and a kiss with an embrace in the morning, they are said before we end a phone call and before we leave to run an errand.

These three little words are sometimes all that's said, but never all that's implied.

In the morning before you leave for work when I groggily say, "I love you" with my arms wrapped tightly around you, what I'm really saying is: "Thank you for getting up before daybreak, driving or carpooling forty-five minutes to a job in the middle of nowhere that you don't love. Thank you for doing your job like you love it anyway so that you can keep it and continue providing for us. I appreciate every minute you spend in a meeting or writing {another} paper. I appreciate that you face this seemingly never-ending drudgery with a willingness to find the silver-lining and heart that hopes to honor the Lord. I'm so grateful for everything you do that keeps us going. I love you, sweetie. Have a good day!"

At night when I say, "I love you" before turning out the light, what I mean is: "Thank you for being such a wonderful husband. I am so blessed by you. You are patient and kind, you are not selfish and you make me feel like a priority. You will be a great father. How did I get so lucky to marry a man like you? I could never deserve your love. I know we have our faults but you try so willingly to overcome them. Sweet dreams, my love. Sleep well."

When I say, "[I] love you" before we hang up the phone or run out the door, what my heart is saying is: "Be safe, be well and I looking forward to seeing you soon! If something happens and 'soon' turns into heaven, I'll miss you dearly until then. Please know how deeply you are cared for and how much joy you bring to my life!"

Three little words, but they mean something so much bigger.

I love you, my sweet husband.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beyond beautiful post. I love everything about it, and I know that your sweet husband will cherish it for a lifetime. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teared up just a little. I was just thinking about how easy it is to complain (not in regards to my husband, just in general) rather than take the time to say something kind and then I read this and it just made my heart happy. Pumpkin is a lucky little girl to have two loving parents!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!