Thursday morning we'd had a *very* faint line, but it was so faint we weren't sure if our eyes were playing tricks on us, so we went off to work with a little smile and a prayer.
On a pleasant Friday afternoon I took another test, let it sit and we looked at it together. We got our first definite positive test (at 12 days past ovulation for those of you that follow that line of thinking)! We also took a digital test the next morning, just to confirm.
I was pretty sure we were pregnant. I could feel things working down there. From sharp pains to twinges and cramps this was no ordinary end of cycle. It seemed like more than I could be imagining. It was our first month of trying and I hoped it was our last. I really want to be due at the beginning of summer (to avoid being pregnant during the ridiculous heat of July and August) but I also wanted to finish out this school year (which is why we didn't start in August).
We went out to dinner to celebrate and talked about all the things we hope Pumpkin loves and does. The number one thing we hope Pumpkin does is stick around and keep growing. Miscarriage is not as uncommon as we'd wish it to be and although I fully trust in the Lord's plan for our family, I feel like I'm holding my breath a little and wondering if I'll regret planning out this little baby's pregnancy, delivery and first years ;). I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but what can I say? I'm just a planner.
Every day (it seems) I come across another thing that I have to Google to see if I am supposed to eat/drink. For example, did you know you aren't supposed drink many herbal teas? We discovered this just after we conceived. I was drinking tea like crazy (I love tea anyway and usually have one to three cups of tea after my one cup of coffee in the morning) but since I was cutting out caffeine and it felt like something was missing, more tea helped fill the gap. I can't remember what made me Google it, but I soon found out that many herbs can cause early labor/miscarriage or implantation issues. I wonder how serious this needs to be taken, and will ask my midwife (who is also a naturopathic doctor - knows her herbs) at our first appointment. However, nothing is worth the risk at this point.
In the meantime, my sweet husband went to our favorite tea store and picked out three fantastic teas that are caffeine free and herb free. They are Rooibus or red teas and two of my favorite flavors: earl gray and ginger peach. He also picked out one called passion fruit mango, which mimics (but is more fruity than) my other favorite Mango Ceylon. All winners and completely satisfying. I'm so impressed, if I didn't know it I'd never guess they weren't their black leaf/caffeinated versions. Blake was my tea hero with his scouring of teas with ingredient lists that were baby safe.
Other than taking more vitamins, trying to eat extra healthy (and avoid all those 'no' foods), working out *almost* every day and feeling those funny uterus twinges.. life continues as we knew it, with just a little more anticipation. Now I'm going to continue planning our big trip to Italy/Israel and hope that I stave off morning sickness and exhaustion until we get back!
So, here begins our official journey to parenthood! Bring on the unsolicited (and solicited too) advice!
: :
Next baby post: Pumpkin: Weeks 4 & 5
Previous baby post: Waiting
No comments:
Post a Comment
What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!