Monday, October 1, 2012

Cascade Lake and Eagle Nest

The last hurrah of summer. One final weekend in the great outdoors without major outerwear.

Labor Day.

I know it is supposed to be a day where we all stop and recognize the economic and social contributions of workers (or so Wikipedia says) but for me it marks the end of summer and the beginning of Fall. I know, Fall doesn't officially start until Sept 22 (or 21st depending on the year) but for me, Labor Day weekend is the kick-off for all things pumpkin and other assorted fall scents and flavors.

Blake and I have gone camping on Labor Day for five years now. It was his tradition to go camping with his friends near Lake Roosevelt (last year there was a pirate themed 60th birthday party). This year, Blake finally agreed with me we finally decided that we're getting too old for that crowd (or rather that crowd was not growing up), so we happily made new plans.

We made the six hour trek over to Cascade, Idaho on Friday night, after work. We arrived at midnight and set up our tent via headlamp and in a light rain. The rain started as we were pulling in and stopped about five minutes after we had the tent up....of course.

It was a gorgeous campground and worth the drive (although I'd still be okay with something a little closer next year). Cascade Lake is huge and has a nice sandy-ish beach that runs along parts of it. It was a funny phenomenon to be camping one minute and beaching another.. not two vacations I've mixed before.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

These flowers closed up at night!

Mid-morning


Our faithful Labor Day tent, a.k.a "the mansion"

These gorgeous red poppies were everywhere!


Love my rugged man :)

One of the few pictures with me in it because I set a timer and RAN to the water, just to show I was there. ;)

Blake and Aunt Jana teaching Joie to swim... cutest thing ever!

She loved it!


Dusk

Around the campfire.

Day hike the next day up Eagle Nest trail (sorry Jana, I didn't see that piece of grass in your face!)


Jana was collecting bugs for a biology class at BSU.

The Snelson Family


Jed on a giant rock

Joie on a 'Joie sized rock'

Do you see that dust! 

The view from the trail. That's Davis Reservoir  in the center.

Keeping up with Daddy.

Cascade Lake, where we were camping.



Where we stopped for lunch and turned around.

It was a 14 mile trail that didn't loop around, so we just went until we were all tired and turned around.

Not the greatest picture but no one could figure out my camera so I had to use the timer.

Slogging out. Joie has the right idea!

Our little hiker ;)

The looks of concentration, except Jed. This was a walk in the park for him.

She's just so cute.

I just liked this shot.

Almost back to the truck


The trailhead rock.

Checking out the bug collection

Why are they still sleeping?

Not the best expression, but I loved the light!

Golfing the next day (I rode along and took pictures) along the same lake.

He's a really good golfer and surprising quiet about it!

The view from this golf course made me wish I golfed... okay, maybe not. Glad I had my camera though!


4 comments:

  1. That looks like such a fun trip! You got some amazing pictures. :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! looks very fun! I really loved the first shots of the yellow flower and blue background. PRetty sure the second and third ones took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just kidding, there were only 2 flower pictures. They both took my breath away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I have to say, I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!