I started by making my own lemon curd but the original recipe is intended to be easy and quick and calls for store bought lemon curd. Absolutely acceptable. Lemon curd is pretty easy to make, but should be done ahead. I wanted to make it so that I would have extra to give to a friend. Sorry... no photos but here's the recipe I use:
1/2 c. lemon juice (about the juice of 2 large lemons)
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, cubed
Whisk together zest, juice, sugar and eggs in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Add butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks from the whisk and when the first bubbles appear on the surface, about 6-10 minutes - depending on your stove.
Force lemon curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a wide shallow dish, scraping bottom of the sieve, then cover the surface with plastic wrap (so it doesn't form a film). Cool completely, stirring occasionally if using the same day, about 30 minutes. If preparing ahead, stir before using.
: :
I would call these Strawberry-Lemon Cream Stacks
2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved (I made these smaller, because I was making mini cakes)
1 Meyer lemon, juice only (I only had a regular lemon)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar - or to taste
(I also added 3 Tbsp of granulated sugar, it was tart - probably because I used regular lemon).
(I also added 3 Tbsp of granulated sugar, it was tart - probably because I used regular lemon).
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
1/2 cup store-bought lemon curd (see above)
1 store-bought pound cake (yes, I totally used store-bought pound cake)
Cut up the strawberries into a size that suits your serving method. Save at least one strawberry to cut up for garnish.
| Tricky, tricky. I learned that I can balance my camera on my shoulder, set the timer, and take a picture with both hands. |
Add lemon juice and sugar to strawberries. Mix and cook on medium low heat for 4 minutes, or until strawberries begin to soften. Remove from heat and cool.
Meyer lemons are a cross between an orange and a lemon, which results in a sweeter orangey tasting lemon. I'm sure this would have added a nice element to the dish, but alas, I forgot to get one.

Whip heavy cream in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
Fold in the 1 cup powdered sugar and the lemon curd, a little at a time, until combined. Set aside in the refrigerator while you prepare the cake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut pound cake into 1/4-inch-thick slices (the rounds should fit snugly inside whatever you are serving these in).
Break the remaining scraps of pound cake into coarse crumbs and toast on a baking sheet in the preheated oven about 5 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant.
| I was in a hurry to finish this and didn't realize these pictures were turning out blurry. Sorry. This was the least blurry, and you can mostly see the layers in there. |
To assemble, start with a cake round, followed by some strawberries, and lemon cream. Add another layer of cake, strawberries and cream. Add a final layer of cake. Drizzle the final cake layers with syrup from the strawberries and then top with a swirl of lemon cream and some toasted pound cake crumbs. Garnish each cake with a reserved strawberry slice and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
I assembled in a mini cheesecake pan with removable bottoms. Essentially using the pan as a mold.

Oooooohhhhkay. I will tell you what is on my mind. What is on my mind is that I now want some of these SOOOOOO badly and I am way to tired to go through all this effort to make them. You are getting way too good at Making Things That Look Delicious And Taking Pictures Of Them. Perhaps you should move to Spokane. Near me. I can help get rid of extra treats. I am fabulous at it.
ReplyDelete-Lisa
I WANT ONE! Those look amazing! I really love the final photo! YUM.
ReplyDelete