This weekend we had originally planned to go pick apples with my cousin, Macey. Warm fuzzies floated around the idea of photographing our family in an apple orchard and quality Fall-themed time with Auntie Macey for Emerson. Macey also wanted to make applesauce and learn how to can it.
When the day to pick apples arrived, we realized we had a lot to do and only one day to do it in (plus some other family obligations with grandparents that night). Also, most of the organic or minimal-spray orchards were a pretty good drive from us. So we settled on a produce stand that also had a pumpkin patch. If I can say so myself, it was just the ticket. No muss no fuss but still the warm fuzzies.
While I'm not sure where our family traditions will fall in relation to Halloween, I do know that we'll have plenty of Fall traditions and I decided I want carving pumpkins to be one of those traditions. I'm not saying we'll go to a pumpkin patch every year, and I'm not saying we'll even carve a pumpkin this year... but I have fun memories of carving pumpkins as a family so eventually we'll do that together.
Emerson thought the pumpkin patch was pretty fun. One of her new favorite skills is being able to back up to something and sit down on it. I didn't realize this was a specific milestone, but our friend Lincoln was doing it during our backpacking trip and I thought it was just a cute quirk of his. Then Emerson started doing it a few weeks later and with such a proud demeanor (just like Lincoln had) and I realized that it was 'a thing'. So she tried several times to sit down on different pumpkins, some with more success than others.
She tried out a few pumpkins but they were either too big, too wet or the stem broke off. Then Blake handed her a little white pumpkin and she seemed pretty happy. Later she realized we had her in the little pumpkin section and she headed for the big pumpkins. While over there she found a cob of colorful 'Indian' corn (is that even what it's still called?). She thought this was really cool and I thought we weren't going to be able to leave without it.... until she found her ultimate prize pick from the pumpkin patch.. the perfect rock. My rock girl. She was so happy.
| Ready to head to the pumpkins |
![]() |
| My Pumpkin in a sea of pumpkins |
| Proud of her rock. |
| I asked if she kissed it. She said 'no'. mmm hmm |

So many warm fuzzies.
ReplyDelete