Yet another labor day and another campground. This year we went to Hell's Gate State Park in Hell's Canyon just outside of Lewiston, Idaho. It was a really nice campground. Very well maintained and groomed. Nicely shaded but with a lot of open areas. It was also pretty close for us, but unfortunately, it was a fairly long drive for everyone else.
Setting up the mansion.
The swimming beach. This is the Snake River.
First thing Emerson did was check out the rock situation. She decided these little tiny rocks will do.
Playing with grandma in their camper.
My cousins' dog, Oakley. Emerson loved him!
The palest family on the beach.
Swimming with Grandpa
Grandma and Grandpa
And back to her happy place.
Mom as the sunshade.
My cousin's wife, Danielle, turned 30 a day or two before the camping trip, so my aunt and uncle put on a special dinner for her to celebrate. I'm not kidding. It was the best food I've ever had camping. SO GOOD! We have a tradition in our family of wearing the hideous birthday hat... which Danielle professed that she wasn't going to wear. So here's her party night and the hat debacle.
Hanging out
Water with grandpa (are you sensing a theme)
Bites with grandpa
swishing water, her new favorite
Doesn't she just look like a kid here!? Not a baby these days.
My sweet aunt gave Emerson this cool animal book with flaps and sound. Obviously, it was a hit!
And again.
Pistachios. Also a favorite. Also a favorite of grandpas.
Top of pop
Grandpa let her sit in his truck and she was pretty taken.
My cousin's daughter (right), Joie, and her friend (left), C.
C was sweet enough to give Emerson her little pink camping chair.
It was fairly small for her and fit Emerson just right, but best of all,
it was all her own idea. What a sweet heart she has.
We got a rough start on this trip with teething in full swing (fever and all). The first two nights were anything but restful (for us and probably our neighbors) but things settled down after that and we enjoyed our time.
A highlight for me this camping trip was the s'mores. I spent the week before making the ingredients to make a healthy s'more. Yes, You read that correctly. I made marshmallows with grass-fed gelatin (all kinds of health benefits) and raw honey (which after cooking isn't raw... so next time I'll use maple syrup.. either way, it's not corn syrup or some other highly refined sweetener). I also made grain-free and refined sugar-free graham crackers and home made chocolate (which left some room for improvement). You have to be okay with some coconut taste to the graham crackers (which I am) and this little treat is heaven. Bonus, they didn't give me a sugar headache like last years s'mores.
I'm not particularly a marshmallow fan, but they are an essential component of a s'more so..
Everyone that tasted them said (somewhat surprised) that they tasted just like real marshmallows.
Hint: It's because they are! Just honey instead of refined sweetener. Easy to make regardless of sweetener choice,
once you get over the learning curve of a candy thermometer and correct pot size.
So tasty! Not the greatest picture but you know, it was dark and I wanted to keep eating it.
So good it's okay to have a couple for breakfast too (sans chocolate here)
In the future, I'll make the graham crackers a little thinner if I can. They were pretty filling!
So there you have it. My homemade s'more adventure. Next year when Emerson is interested in these kinds of things, she can have a few herself (I gave her a taste but she wasn't impressed).
It was a fantastic weekend with family and another successful labor day camping trip!
What a fun weekend! I love your family's traditions (milestone birthdays and camping trips with the whole family). Camping food is something I definitely need to take a few lessons in. And you're right.. Ms. Emerson is becoming a little lady for sure. What a sweetie!
What a fun weekend! I love your family's traditions (milestone birthdays and camping trips with the whole family). Camping food is something I definitely need to take a few lessons in. And you're right.. Ms. Emerson is becoming a little lady for sure. What a sweetie!
ReplyDeleteThe hat pictures... oh how true to the debacle they are! Those will be a fun memory years from now :)
ReplyDelete