Thursday, March 21, 2013

When the Evening Comes

Lately I've been waking up with a song in my head. You might have heard the popular Christian/worship song by Matt Redman, 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord). It's one of those songs that instantly realigns my heart, even if it's been overplayed on the radio and sung at church for months. I love it. I have loved it since I first heard it awhile ago, but it's recently come back around and plays through my head when I wake up. Specifically this verse:

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes


It's that last lyric that really sticks with me as I go about my morning routine. It's my prayer for the day as I close my Bible (app). I can have a wonderful time with the Lord in the morning, but by the time I find myself crawling back into bed at night I look back at the day and know that it didn't end how it started. Sometime between my shower and logging in on my computer at work I get distracted by the routine and to do list.

It's been my struggle lately. Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me, those things become the focus of my day and steer my attitude, instead of the focus of worship I started out with. How can I change this, how do I keep my focus on the Lord instead of being consumed by the task at hand? How do I change my habits and remember to make work about the Lord in an environment that prohibits any trace of Him?

I don't have answers, but I do have a Father who knows what I need and is helping me grow. So my prayer remains: Let me be singing when the evening comes.

1 comment:

  1. A great message. I am currently dead when the evening comes. Definitely worth working on...
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!