Thursday, May 26, 2011

God's Country Revisited

It's an inside joke now between my brother, Jared, and I about Tri-Cities being "God's country." It only took him one week of staying here to realize that it's just a windy desert. You can read the whole story here.

After living here for a while now, I thought I should revisit the issue. Now that my heart has softened and my attitude improved. The irony of this joke is that in the end, this is God's country; it's the land He chose for us during this time of our lives. God not only met us here, He purposed to bring us here. Kicking and screaming on my part, but still He had a bigger plan for our lives and marriage and He knew this was where we needed to be. Despite my fight, He didn't give up on me.

I moved in with Blake when we got back from our honeymoon in August. We had already found a church but hadn't really 'plugged' in yet. I knew I needed to, and wanted to, get involved in a small group of some sort but wasn't sure how. Also I desperately wanted to make some friends that were also believers. Women's Bible study was starting in September and I debated about going. I sat there the night it was starting and went back and forth about if it would be the right fit for me (I know, I hadn't even been yet). It just sounded like an old lady's study. Something about the title 'Women's Bible study' made me think of old ladies sitting around talking about these young kids and their crazy music (or whatever). Now I realize how silly that mental image was. Our church is pretty modern and the older ladies that do attend are nothing like that!

Anyway, so finally Blake said, "Just go! You know you should at least check it out and it'll be good for you." So I went. Of course it was awesome and totally what I needed (and totally age appropriate). The book they were using for the study was called Live Fearlessly: A Study in the Book of Joshua. It was about Joshua's leadership of the Israelites out of the desert and into the promise land. This Bible study was the start of my journey back towards Christ. Previously, my journey had been slowly, slowly, slowly away from Christ and toward the world. This study made me first realize that I had not been open to God's will for my location. It was the first ring in my wake-up call.

At the time I laughed about how here I was in the 'desert', just like the Israelites were in the desert. I liked to think of my time wandering in this desert as a punishment for my lack of faith and trust in God for my future. I also liked to think of a 'promise land' that I could enter through faithfully following God's leading... surely that couldn't be here!

Now I realize that anywhere God brings you and anything He brings you through is the promise land*. The desert may be a desert but that doesn't mean it's a punishment.. and even if it is discipline, it's meant to lead you closer to Him. I am both in the desert and in my promise land. He daily fulfills the promise that if I seek Him, He will be found by me. He fulfills the promise to show me which path to take if I don't lean on my own understanding. He has promised to forgive my repentant heart and to fill me with His joy. Better is one day in His courts, than a thousand elsewhere!

It's sad for me to look back on my attitude and to see how I had slowly changed to be more like the world instead of clinging to Jesus and His love. I think about how hard I fought with my pride and selfish plans. But. I’m glad to have learned the lesson, because I can also look back and see God’s hand in my life when I have surrendered to Him. It’s amazing to look back and see how He protected me and replanted me, when I didn’t deserve it.

This truly is, God’s country!

*Promise Land: I use this metaphorically only. I realize that God's promise to the Israelites is a literal promise, and a literal land described in detail in the Old Testament.

1 comment:

  1. I love the passage in Numbers where the spies go into the land to check it out. God's brought it to me at different points in my life. I specifically love the phrase "the land is exceedingly good"...and yet the people freak out and refuse to trust the God that just led them through the desert.

    It's such a reminder that God is leading us and if we jump in with trust, He will give us what is exceedingly good...might not be what we would have thought fit that description, but it will be true!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!