Our first hiking experience with the Sauras! Jason is an avid nature enthusiast and Whitney was testing the waters with this trip. We wanted a hike that wasn't too long and that didn't have too much elevation gain. This hike was perfect at 8 miles round trip and only 1800 feet of elevation gain. The trail head is about 30 miles from Cle Elum, Wa, and starts/ends at an old campground called De Roux Horseman's camp.
Interesting fact - From 1961 to 2006, Gallaher Head lake was labeled Gallagher Head lake because USGS mapmakers thought they were correcting a misspelling. It's really named after James and Eliza Gallaher (not Gallagher), two Pennsylvania natives who moved to Roslyn in the late 1800's and staked mining claims in the mountains of the Teanaway!
Here's the story.
: : :
We headed out on Saturday morning, eagerly clambered up the trail through part of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and along De Roux Creek. It was gorgeous as nature usually is this time of year. The hike was mostly easy going for the first three and a half miles, then there's some switchbacks and elevation gain, and before you know it, you crest the hill and see the lake. I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed. I expected a little more grandeur when I broke through those trees. Once I adjusted my expectations and took a second look around, I realized how beautiful it was and what a pleasant little spot we'd walked into. We walked around the lake and found our perfect spot, or rather our third choice because there was a boy scout troop in our first choice and another couple in our second choice. Either way, there were enough camping spots to go around, and there were several other hiking groups that came after us and set up camp in the fourth and fifth best spots.
 |
| Trail head picture, our last feeling of clean. |
 |
| A view from the trail. |
 |
| Settling into camp. |
 |
| Taking in the scenery |
 |
It was a small lake and really shallow. Although I'm
sure deeper than it looks since there's probably
several feet of silt at the bottom. |
 |
| On our walk around the lake. |
 |
| Dinner time! |
 |
And now time to do dishes! :)
(Don't worry, we use biodegradable soap) |
 |
| Sunset behind the hills. |
 |
| Enjoying the last bit of daylight. |
 |
| Curled up by the fire. |
 |
| On our way out. Ready for some food! |
It was a fantastic hike and I would recommend it to anyone. Jason and Whitney are great hiking partners and I hope this won't be our last hike together! We did decide to start a new tradition though, post-hike food at
Triple XXX in Issaquah. Chili dogs, giant corn dogs and root beer floats... oh yeah!
No comments:
Post a Comment
What's on your mind? I love hearing from you!